Northeast slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.32080°N / 106.1511°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See "Getting There".

Route Description

Trailhead Elevation: 12000 ft
One Way Distance per my GPS: 1.25 miles


You can take any path up the slopes of Buckskin. I will, however, describe the route that I took. It lead me to a short section of slippery scree that I could have probably avoided.

At the Kite Lake Parking area, you will find the main trail heading north to Mt. Democrat. Another trail starts by the pit toilet and heads west to Lake Emma. I followed this trail until it began to veer north toward Lake Emma. Here, I left the trail, crossed the creek and went up a slippery scree slope to reach a relatively flat grassy area at 12800 ft where a powerline runs (from Kite Lake you can probably head toward the east end of the powerline where you will encounter little or no scree).

Above the powerline, the hike will be over generally stable boulders/large rocks.

Essential Gear

In summer, nothing more than hiking boots.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.