Northern Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.05900°N / 105.552°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up, Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There


From Boulder, take Boulder Canyon (CO 119) to Nederland. At the roundabout in Nederland, take the Estes Park Turn (CO 72). Drive thru Ward and continue until you see the Brainard Lake Recreation Area sign. Take a left turn at the sign. Stop at the Red Rock Trailhead pullout located right before the guard shack, pay station. The trailhead is on the left and is marked “Lefthand Reservoir”. Do not confuse the trailhead area with Red Rock Lake. If you pass the guard shack and reach the lake, you’ve gone too far.

Route Description


From the Lefthand Reservoir Trailhead, begin hiking along the dirt road for approximately 1.5 miles. On the North slopes, climb South along an unmarked trail for .8 to 1 mile. It varies depending on whether or not you are able to locate the actual trail. The trail is not obvious and takes a fair bit of route finding. I could not find it until I reached treeline. There are a few cairns above treeline marking the way. The rounded summit is in full view. If you can take your eyes off the magnificent view of the surrounding peaks and still are not on the trail, it’s still pretty obvious where to go. The hike is approximately 4.6 miles and gains approximately 1370’ in elevation. The summit of Niwot Mountain rests at 11,471’.

Essential Gear


Snowshoes may be necessary along the road leading to Lefthand Reservoir. When I hiked the Peak in January, I did not bring snowshoes and postholed a few times but not enough to make it worth carrying them. Crampons and mountianeering axe are not necessary on this hike. Treking poles will suffice.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.