Northwest Ridge from North Inlet Trailhead

Northwest Ridge from North Inlet Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.25673°N / 105.72988°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ptarmigan Mountain from Lake NokoniPtarmigan Mountain from Lake Nokoni.


This is not the shortest route to the summit of Ptarmigan Mountain (approaching from the East Inlet Trailhead is shorter). However, this is probably the easiest approach as it avoids the bushwhacking required of the East Inlet Trailhead approach.

Getting There

Start at the North Inlet Trailhead.

Route Description

Stats: Class 2, 19.7 miles (round trip), 4050 feet of elevation gain.


From the trailhead, follow the North Inlet Trail for approximately 6.5 miles to the trail junction with the Lake Nanita Trail. You will pass Cascade Falls and Big Pool (a natural pool in North Inlet). Take the Lake Nanita Trail south for approximately 2 miles to Lake Nokoni. You will pass 'North Inlet Falls'. From Lake Nokoni ascend 440 vertical feet to the saddle between Point 11,322 and Point 11,733. Ascend the talus to the summit of Point 11,733. Descend Point 11,733 to the southwest then follow talus and tundra the remaining 0.7 miles to the summit.

To shorten the summit day you may wish to camp in one of the many backcountry campsites found along the North Inlet and Lake Nanita Trails. A permit is required.

Trail Profile and Map

The trail color represents the class of that portion of the trail.

Green = Class 1
Blue = Class 2

Trail Profile

The vertical unit is feet, and the horizontal unit is miles.
Trail Profile of North Inlet Trailhead to Ptarmigan Mtn via the Northwest Ridge


Map
Northwest Ridge of Ptarmigan Mountain from North Inlet TrailheadNorthwest Ridge from North Inlet TH.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.