Viewing: 1-5 of 5
JDrake

JDrake - May 17, 2008 1:16 pm - Voted 10/10

You cheated on me

doing Notch sans WasatchNut... I hope you picked up a few "blisters" for the effort. Kidding of course, possibly I need to re-examine my commitment to work? :)

Dean

Dean - May 19, 2008 12:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: You cheated on me

Actually, no. We had Fool Creek peak planned originally and Notch was a last minute decision on my part rather than go do Fool Creek without your presence. No blisters either. Remember, work will always be there but time for the mountains is fleeting. Fool Creek peak is still out there waiting. : )

lcarreau

lcarreau - May 19, 2008 11:27 pm - Voted 10/10

The art of

"high-pointing" appears to be the ability to make last minute
decisions. Without first making a decision, there's no gas in
your GO. Those sands of time are slipping thru the hourglass!!
Notch peak is an awesome chunk of limestone. Congratulations!!
(Keep that Toyota truck movin', Dean.)

vanman798

vanman798 - Aug 6, 2012 7:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Cliff Definition

Dean, I've been doing some research on Notch Peak and trying to figure out just how tall the actual cliff is, and if it is the tallest cliff in the USA or not.

Here is what I've learned...

It seems to me that the definition of "cliff" is what makes things confusing. Let’s say a cliff is defined as a high, steep face of rock. Is “steep” 90 degrees (vertical) or greater (overhanging), or is near vertical close enough? Research shows that a cliff need not be exactly vertical and so there is uncertainty about what slope or portion of a slope is a cliff.

With a vague definition I think to be safe we have to state how much of the cliff is vertical (or greater).

With that said, El Capitan at 7569 ft has a 3000 ft pure vertical drop. In comparison Notch peak at 9654 has a 2200 ft pure vetical drop, yet it is 4450 ft from valley floor to its summit. In comparison the Northwest Face of Half Dome at 8842 ft has a vertical drop of 2,000 ft and is 4,400 ft from valley floor to summit.

The largest purely vertical drop on the plant is the face of Mount Thor at 4,500 ft.

So, yes the west side of Notch Peak is an amazing cliff, and I think it is safe to say it is the second highest pure vertical drop in the USA. To give it a #1 spot we might say it is the highest limestone (or carbonate rock) cliff in North America.

Anyways, I thought that was worth sharing.

Dean

Dean - Aug 7, 2012 3:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cliff Definition

Thanks for the research on this one. I had read elsewhere that it was the biggest cliff but your remarks clarify that aspect. I'll change my title to 2nd biggest so I tip my hat to your willingness to check it out.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Notch Peak, 2nd biggest cliff in N.A.' main page