Ohio: Flatland Highpointing

Ohio: Flatland Highpointing

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 8, 2015
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Flatland Highpointing

Ohio Highpoint
Ohio Highpoint
Campbell Hill Ohio:
 The next stop along the way was the Ohio State highpoint of Campbell Hill.  This highpoint was another drive up and was located on the Campus of a school.  The bonus was that it was only about a two hour drive from Hoosier hill so they were both easily completed in the same day.  The only problem I had is that I started the morning in Missouri so I was burning daylight pretty quick and didn't want to get to Campbell hill after dark.  When I left the Indiana highpoint it was already 4 PM so I was cutting it close.  I pulled into Bellefontaine, Ohio right before 6 PM and I got a little lost trying to find the exact highpoint.  I had again plugged Campbell hill into my Iphone and it brought me near the hill but instead to a "Highpoint recycling center".  It took me a few minutes to find the campus of the Career Center, but once I found it it was easy to locate the highpoint.  Really once you hit the campus all you need to do is head uphill and look for a flagpole, you can't miss it.

This was another one of the "flatland Highpoints" but again despite being an unremarkable hill the town had done a pretty good job of celebrating the distinction as the state highpoint with a nice memorial to the fact.  There is a flagpole, a signpost and the US Army Corps of Engineers survey marker all prominently displayed.  Pretty cool if you ask me.  Again I didn't stick around long but grabbed a few pictures and kept going on my journey.  You can see the sun is on its way down which made photography difficult, but I think the photos actually came out kind of cool.  Enjoy!

You can see my full trip report with Photos on my Blog here:  http://outdooroutlier.blogspot.com/2015/03/flatland-highpointing-in-indiana-and.html



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Colin

Colin - Jun 21, 2015 10:03 am - Voted 8/10

Thanks

Thanks for this. I'm planning a visit in July 2015. It helps to have current information on the site. I also appreciate your info on Hoosier Hill.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Campbell HillTrip Reports