404

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title 404
Manufacturer Silveretta
Page By mconnell
Page Type Jul 10, 2002 / Jul 10, 2002
Object ID 408
Hits 11125
Vote
This is the classic workhorse AT binding. It will fit almost any stiff soled, welted boot. It is DIN rated, with independently adjustable forward and lateral release capabilities, extreme durability, easy adjustment for varying boot sizes, and a pole activated snap-down lock to switch from turning to touring mode.



Reviews


Viewing: 1-5 of 5

mconnell - Jul 10, 2002 10:05 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
These bindings are very solid and will probably last forever. They work well with plastic climbing boots for approaches and ski reasonably well with AT boots.



My biggest complaint is the release mechanism. If you pop out of the binding laterally, the binding comes apart. You must put things back together before putting the ski back on.



Also a warning: Make sure that the ski shop uses the bindings to figure out where to drill holes instead of the template. It's a bit more work, but the bindings don't always match the templates. With mine, this means that the part of the binding attached to my boot doesn't line up exactly with the guides on the heel piece. It just makes an annoying noise when climbing without affecting performance but I would rather they were straight.

Diego SahagĂșn - Jul 11, 2002 11:01 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Good and solid bindings. I have no problem with them. You only have to select the strength (front and rear) well. However sometimes down part come off after a strong fall.

tiefenthaler - Dec 4, 2003 5:50 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
A time-proven design. 20 years ago this was THE binding to have. Although still a safe and solid design, this binding does have its shortcommings. For one, this binding is relatively heavy. Also, many people have problems getting the sledge back into the bindig once it has released in the lateral releasing mode. Finally, this binding will not last forever. Although I am not really heavy (I weigh 70 kg), after ca. 10 years of use (ca. 15 - 20 tours/winter) one of the steel rods connecting the front and rear part of the binding broke. In summary, I think nowadays there are better alternatives (more lightweight and/or comfortable) available.

palic - Dec 3, 2004 11:51 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Silvretta 404 is the most classic model (together with older 400) of AT binding on the market. I suppose that majority of AT skiers have started (part of them continued) with this binding. Obviously, if you had started with ski mountaineering more than a decade ago :-)



In fact, the older 400 model was more robust construction than 404 as there were almost no plastic. Thus, in remote areas of the world it was no problem, if something had been damaged on your binding, to find to repair iron pats by simple welding. Try the same with Frischi, Naxo, Pure - no success



In contemporary world of fast development of many kinds of AT bindings, Silvretta 404 has became an old classic with small probability of damage. Thus, if you are a beginner, or you are not sure, if ski mountaineering is the best activity for you, do not afraid to try it! It is much cheaper than contemporary "hi-tech" bindings, and you can live through as much fun as with others in mountains.



By the way, if you have gone on hard training, 404 is right solution for you. It weights 2.1 kg, whereas other binding are about 1.6-1.8 kg. No pain, no gain - just imagine how fast you will be after one season on 404, when you start another season on Dynafit TLT :-)

Nanuls - Jun 15, 2007 8:05 am - Voted 4/5

bindings
I bought these bindings second hand because of their basic design and ability to fit onto my mountaineering boots. So far they have been great, however the release mechanism has been a problem.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5