Ascension Glidelite Skins - STS

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Ascension Glidelite Skins - STS
Manufacturer Black Diamond
Page By kjkrow
Page Type Mar 1, 2005 / Mar 1, 2005
Object ID 1270
Hits 5101
Vote
The Ascension Glidelight Skins - STS are made from artificial animal hide, giving them a smooth glide and a rabid bite. An over-the-center camming device combines with a stretchy elastomer strap to make these skins glove friendly. Easy to tension and remove, the Glidelight Skins won't give you a backcountry headache.
Source- backcountry.com

The skins can be purchased in 80, 90, 100, 110, and 120mm widths and are around 210cm long.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

kjkrow - Mar 1, 2005 5:18 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
After deciphering the trimming/fitting instructions, the skins are very easy to trim with the included trim tool. After using mine in the backcountry, these skins work great with very little slip even up steep powder slopes. The tail attachment also allows for some variation in the length of the skis that the skins can be used for.



As with most skins, they can become troublesome when its windy and they stick together as you're trying to get them onto the ski. However, the new Glidelites have a glue free strip down the middle that makes them easier to apply and remove.



I would also highly recommend using the included cheat sheats (black mesh) for storage and backcountry use. The cheat sheets help preserve the adhesive and make the skins much easier to separate in all conditions. The skins do a good job of shedding snow as well, and the only place that snow collects on mine is near the front tip where there is less adhesive due to the fold in the skin.



Overall a great product and highly recommended.

jackstraw0083 - Dec 30, 2010 1:46 pm - Voted 5/5

They Do the Job
I've been using these skins for 4 years and haven't had any trouble with them, they work great. I let them dry out each time after I use them, but I never store them on the black mesh (even over the summer) and they're still very sticky. The back clips never stay clipped to my ski, but this has never affected the skin's ability to stay stuck to the bottom of my skis, although it does let a bit of snow onto the back skin tip. They do a good job of sticking to the ski even when they get some snow on them. They're pretty easy to cut too.

Note: A friend bought these the other day and I helped her cut them for her skis. The design of the skin has changed a bit, and instead of the fold-over tip they now have a tip that you have to screw into the skin. Other than that they're pretty much the same though, and the new tip didn't make cutting the skin any more difficult.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2