Oxford Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.26740°N / 112.0963°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Trail Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the trailhead sign, an ATV trail begins. The trail basically runs all the way up Oxford Ridge to the summit. Begin your journey by walking north through the trees towards Oxford Ridge. After about a mile or so, you will break out of the trees and reach the base of the treeless Oxford Ridge. The ridge is wide-open, and has good views all around, but it provides no shelter in a storm. The ridge also has lots of ups-and-downs, some small and some big. These bumps will add more than 1,000' to the climb.

Follow the ATV trail as it climbs steeply up the ridge. Your first goal is Point 8385. After this, the topo map does not accurately depict the true position of the trail. The trail actually heads straight over Point 8735 before you reach an unpleasant surprise: The trail drops 400' down to a saddle. You might be able to traverse along the side of this hill, but it may not save you much effort. Once you reach the saddle, the trail descends even further down towards a cattle trough, but your best option is to leave the trail at the saddle and head cross-country north towards the right shoulder of Point 8635. You will meet the trail again as it climbs up towards the ridge just north of Point 8635. Continue on the trail as it passes by Point 8748, and heads over to Point 9098. Once you crest Point 9098, you’re in for another unpleasant surprise: The trail drops steeply on the north side of the point. The trail drops about 250' in a very short distance. This is a slippery slope if you’re not careful.

Once you reach the saddle north of Point 9098, continue north towards the twin summits of Oxford Peak. The trail leads you to the south summit, which does not have a listed elevation, but is essentially the same elevation as the north summit. The north summit is designated as Oxford Peak, and has a listed elevation of 9,282'. A faint footpath connects the two summits.

Hiking Distance: About 12 miles roundtrip.
Elevation Gain: About 3,500’.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.