Pürschling - a perfect winter hike

Pürschling - a perfect winter hike

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Winter Hikes in Bavaria

What can you do on a perfect winter day when there is avalanche warning grade 4 to 5 and you want to breathe mountain air ?

There are not many safe hikes under those conditions. One of them is hiking from Unterammergau up to Pürschling with the August Schuster Haus, a mountain club hut in the Ammergau Alps.

The hike requires about 700 m of altitude difference on a mountain road, which is maintained in winter to supply the Pürschling huts. This road starts at the ski lifts of the village of Unterammergau, north of Pürschling. There are enough parking lots for skiers and hikers.

Winter hikers, ski hikers and people with sleds are using the road together. Ski hikers will follow the north ridge up to Teufelstättkopf, a safe route even with high avalanche warning grades.

Those with sleds and those with only boots on their feet follow the road up to the huts. August Schuster Haus is open the whole year round and offers food and drinks and a sunny terrace.

If there is a foot track or snow good enough to walk on you can summit Teufelstättkopf from Pürschling. This time (mid-february 2009) there was too much snow for that, we gave up half way up from Pürschling and returned to the terrace to savour the sun and the winter scenery.

I hope you enjoy the pics and feel animated to visit this beautiful place some day.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Lukas Kunze

Lukas Kunze - Mar 7, 2009 12:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Fine one!

Thanks for posting these great photos. I' ve been to Pürschling in Jan/2009 and really enjoyed that trip. I have to go there again with a sled some day :)
Cheers Lukas

selinunte01

selinunte01 - Mar 9, 2009 7:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fine one!

Thanks for the nice comment. This was the best what you can do on such a avalanche-dangerous day.
Michael

Noondueler

Noondueler - Mar 8, 2009 11:38 pm - Voted 10/10

I agree!

A great album of shots, all of them!

selinunte01

selinunte01 - Mar 9, 2009 7:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I agree!

I´m happy you enjoyed it.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.