Pacific Crest Trail to Pacifico Mtn.

Pacific Crest Trail to Pacifico Mtn.

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.38190°N / 118.0345°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a wonderful route on a section of the Pacific Crest Trail (“PCT”). At the northern-most part of the route, the trail opens up to magnificent and expansive views of the Mojave Desert and Antelope Valley in anticipation of what you will see on the summit of Pacifico Mountain. This peak, at 7,124 feet elevation, is situated on the northern part of the San Gabriel range. This route is about 12 miles roundtrip with 2200’ of gain.  
Campground at summit of Mt. Pacifico Your destination 6 miles from the trailhead. Note that peak is known as Pacifico Mountain.

Getting There

From the 210 Freeway, exit at Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2) and go north for 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest Highway. Turn left onto Angeles Forest Highway and drive 14.2 miles to Mill Creek Summit on the right. The first facility you will see is the signed Mill Creek Summit Picnic Area which has its own parking lot. Do not park here. Rather, turn right onto the paved road marked by a sign indicating hiking trail. This road will take you to the Mill Creek Summit Station on one side of the road and maintenance facilities on the other side. Just past the maintenance buildings, there is a large paved parking area on your right. Park here.  
Mill Creek Summit Mill Creek Summit Picnic Area
 
Mill Creek Summit Trailhead Parking is next to this station

Route Description

 
PCT sign at Mill Creek Summit Direction to the PCT from trailhead
 
Mill Creek Summit Trailhead Mill Creek Summit trailhead
From the parking area described above walk across the road you drove in on. This road becomes the Pacifico Mountain Road, 3N17, and you will see the signed beginning of N317 as you cross. A few yards to your right after you cross the road, look for a metal sign reading “PCT” and pointing left. Turn left at the sign and in about 50 yards you will come to the signed PCT. Go right (heading southeast) towards Pacifico Mountain.
This area was hard hit by the 2009 "Station" fire and was then hit again by the so-called "Sand" fire of 2016. The area was closed as of August 2016, reopening again in March 2017. The ravages of these events are still visible.   
PCT at  Mill Creek Summit Beginning of PCT route to Pacifico Mtn.
The trail to Pacifico Mountain roughly parallels 3N17 which road is to the south. During the first couple of miles you will have awesome views of Tie Canyon to your left. After heading generally east for about 3 miles, the trail turns north through a forest of big cone spruce and live oak. Further up, you will emerge onto less shaded chapparal-laden slopes.  
Mt. Pacifico (8332 ) from PCT Pacifico Mtn. from PCT
As you reach a ridgecrest, which you will round, you will be able to soak in expansive views of the Antelope Valley and Mojave Desert. These views are always good, but can attain the quality of stunning if the skies are particularly clear. After rounding the ridge, the trail turns south and intersects a dirt road. The PCT follows this road for about ½ mile. The trail then turns left and climbs east again, then southeast under Jeffrey pines and oaks.  
Saddle below Mt. Pacifico Big sign at saddle below Pacifico's summit
 
Saddle below Mt. Pacifico Begin ridge ascent here
Finally, in a little over 5 miles from the start, you will reach a large saddle signed for the Pacifico Mtn. Campground and the PCT. If you wanted to stay on road all the way to the summit, you could follow the “Pacifico Road” another 1.25 miles to the top.  
Roundtop Mtn (L) and Granite Mtn (R) Roundtop Mtn (L) and Granite Mtn (R) from Pacifico's west ridge
 
Pines below Mt. Pacifico Pines below Pacifico's summit
For a more scenic, not to mention challenging alternative, leave the trail at the saddle and head east up Pacifico’s west ridge. The ridge is extremely steep at the beginning, but it gets more “manageable” as you ascend. You get great views of the Mt. Wilson crest from along this ridge. It is about ½ mile to the top.
View near summit of Mt. Pacifico Flora on Pacifico's west ridge

Essential Gear

Clothing-wise, you can go as casual as you like because the trail is brush-free. For footwear, you could even go with sandals, except for the ridge portion of the route for which you will want sturdy trail runners at a minimum and short gaiters as well if you don’t like loose dirt in your shoes.

Red Tape

You will need an Adventure Pass to park at the trailhead. They cost $5 for a daily pass and $30 for yearly. Interagency Annual, Senior, and Access Passes may also be used. These passes are sold at Forest Service stations, most sporting goods stores, and, as of February 1, 2008, on-line

Other Information

USGS ToposPacifico Mountain 7.5 Tom Harrison Angeles Front Country Trail Map (1:63,360 scale) San Gabriel Mtns. Recreation Topo Map (1:62,500 scale), Western Section (Angeles National Forest and the Verdugo Mountains) by Fine Edge Productions

External Links

San Gabriel Mountains Discussion Forum Adventure Pass information Purchasing forest parking passes on-line


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.