Pagomakurre

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.03370°N / 2.7814°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

PagomakurreParking

See the main page to approach to Pagomakurre.
Nowadays this is the shortest itinerary to reach the summit of Gorbea, but really is advisable if you don't like the routes with a lot of people another route as Barazar-Soldropo.

Another interesting route for mountaineers is the climb from the village of Areatza. From there you can reach Pagomakurre after a walk of 2 hours (total of 4 hours to summit, slope of 1330 meters). This is the real former route but after the construction of the track of Pagomakurre generally the people use this track with your vehicle and reach the summit in 2h 15 minutes from there.

Route Description

Slope: 600 meters.
Time: 2h 15 minutes to summit.

ArrabaArraba

The initial itinerary is easy across a forest track (closed to cars in the parking), generally with a lot of people in week-end, under the rocky walls of Peña Lekanda (1302m). We reach the upper plain (Campas de Arraba, 40 min) and we follow the line of trees, to the south (left), to arrive to the Hut of Elorriaga. The plains end in a little step-crossing (Paso de Aldape or Gatzarrieta) to reach a rare Cromlech in the way to the path of Egiriñao. The easy path go in the hillside east of the peak Gatzarrieta (1183m).
ForestEgiriñao

The great grassy plain of Egiriñao is a beautiful place with some beeches to reach the Hermit under the great peak Aldamin. In the upper side (right of Aldamin) is visible the col. After a hard slope we reach the col of Aldamiñospe between Aldamin and Gorbea. Upper the last green ramp (right side) we find the great cross of the summit of Gorbea (1481m, 2h 15min)

A good option before the descent is the easy climb to the beautifull and rocky Aldamin after a litlle climb with the hands (very easy, grade I) in 15 min.

Essential Gear

-Nothing special. Water, sunglasses, cap,...sun-protection for take the sun in the summit enjoying of the landscape or fallen on the ground...
-Crampons and ice-axe in some days of winter specially for the access to Col of Aldamiñospe in cold days (it's north face)
-Is a good option the climb with skis across this route in winter as well. It's the best route to this option.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

GorbeaRoutes