Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 54.88293°N / 127.91382°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7644 ft / 2330 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Paleo Peak
Paleo Peak is the highest peak within a group of peaks located in the Bulkley Range, Hazelton Mountains called the Coal Creek subsection. The 1st ascent was in 1962 by A. Shives, A. Armour-Brown, G. Woodsworth and R. Culbert. (route from A climbers' guide to the Coastal Ranges of BC - Culbert said:"from camp in pass to SE ascend through bush and meadows to ridge E of the 2 highest summits. Follow ridge until it is feasible to traverse right onto glacier leading to col between Paleo Pk to the S and Coal Crag to the N. Climb steep snow to ridge E of Paleo Pk and scramble to summit. 4 hrs up from camp. The areas is richly endowed with fossils.")
Paleo peak has a prominence of 990 meters.

Getting There

Paleo Peak is accessed from Smithers BC. From Highway 16. Follow the Hudson Bay Mountain ski hill signs until on the Hudson Bay Mountain Road. Travel the HBM road until the fork located around 15 km from the start of the road and then turn left onto the McDonnell Lake Forest Service road. Turn right onto the Mulvain Forest Road at the junction above McDonnell Lake. Continue until just past the 55 km sign and turn onto a small spur road to almost the end. Just before the landing on the left (north)side of the road there is a flagged route.

Follow the flagging to the alpine. This is not a trail but a flagged route expect some bushwacking. Some poor flagging continues to the left (northwesterly) until a basin is reached. Above the basin is a remnant glacier and headwall. The headwall separates Pale Peak with Coal Crag (a rock tower).

Red Tape

No red tape involved. The peak is not in a park. It is within the Provincial Forest but permits are not required.

Camping

There are no designated campsites in this area. This peak can be done as a long day from the road. Camping is wilderness. Fires may not be permitted during certain times during the summer. A good level campsite near water is located approximately 3.5 km in. This campsite provides a good base for any of the routes.

External Links


Routes

the northeast glacier
Summit ridge


There are three different routes to the summit.
Route 1 - Northwest glacier - Alpine II (class 3 scramble to peak)
Route 2 - Ridge - unknown but suspect 4th class scrambling.
Route 3 - Ridge - northeast glacier - Alpine II (class 3 scramble to peak)

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.