Passo della Borcola - Monte Maggio

Passo della Borcola - Monte Maggio

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.84883°N / 11.22211°E
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

European path E5: From Borcola Pass to Monte Maggio





The European path E5 is a path crossing the Alps (470km) along the tracks of old military and commercial roads which connected Italy and Europe - it starts from Constance lake, crosses the whole Switzerland to arrive into Austria, and, at last, climbing over the Alps, arrives in Alves (near Verona).
A short part of E5 is the one that goes from Borcola Pass to Monte Maggio. Borcola Pass is the saddle dividing the Pasubio group (SW) from Trento highlands (NE)






Getting There

Alta via delle Alpi Vicentine European path E5: Coston dei laghi

From Piazza di Terragnolo, at the fork take the left branch toward Passo della Borcola 1206m.
Cross the built-up areas of Baisi, Zoreri, Soldati, Incapo, and, once passed Malga and Rifugio Borcola, after an hairpin bend you arrive to a wide car parking site
Just a little before under the Pass, on S side, you can see, into a meadow, the Border stone of Repubblica di Venezia with S.Marco's Lion and the date "year 1472" : this was the border between Venice and Trento.

Now, few steps back you find the SAT mark 124/E5 indicating the path to Monte Maggio (1853m)


Route Description

Access: road from Rovereto, along the Val Terragnolo up to Borcola pass (1206m)
Steps : Borcola pass - Borcoletta - Monte Maggio
Difference in elevation: 686 m
Time required : ~ 2 hours
For Hikers - Requires a good training


First stretch is sweet, bording a small woody rise you arrive to the beginning of the path in the wood toward NE.
A series of steep bends leads near the old Marble quarry.
Follow the steep path up to get out of the wood arriving to a stony zone wherefrom you can see the Pasubio group in its whole lenght.
Now, on the S side you find some more marks, this site is named Borcoletta.
Pano on Valle di Ferro (Moloni e Laghi) and, in background Arsiero e Schio.
From Borcoletta the path goes along the wide ridge named Coston dei Laghi and after some ups and downs gets the summit of Monte Maggio (Big Cross)
Wide pano on Trentino mountains and, when air is very clean you can even see the Adriatico sea and Venice.



Terragnolo is a valley that originated from an erosion of the mountain torrent Leno di Terragnolo. It consists of thirty component localities that are composed of groups of houses and traditional buildings that are spread all over the valley. The forests in the surroundings are ideal for pleasant walks and cycling tours, e.g. to the high plateau of Folgaria and Lavarone, or to the Maggio or Pasubio mountains.


Alta via delle Alpi VicentineCoston dei laghi
Passo della Borcola - Monte maggioAlta Via Prealpi Vicentine
Alta via delle Alpi VicentineBorcoletta

Essential Gear

Hiking gear is sufficient

Maps and Books

Kompass 631 : Altipiani di folgaria Lavarone e Luserna - 1:25.000


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.