Paulsin Basin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.67680°N / 111.144°W
Additional Information Route Type: Cross-country hike with minor scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The route to the trailhead begins in Marion on State Route 32. Marion is located half way between Oakley and Kamas. From the north end of Marion, locate "Upper Loop Road". This paved road heads east from two different entrances that are .5 miles apart. From the northeastern secction of the loops road, take the dirt road that heads east that is posted for "Piute Creek". This road heads east up Hoyt Canyon. Most of the spur roads are blocked by gates. There are two roads that climb to the head of Hoyt Canyon, but the one to the right is a bit less rough. This right fork also has a branch heading west to Marion. Take a left at this second junction and the road climbs to the head of Hoyt Canyon. When driven with care, and car can make it to the head of Hoyt Canyon, but the road is for 4wd vehicles beyond. From the head of Hoyt Canyon, stay on the main road all the way to Paulsin Basin. There are too many side tracks leaving this main road to describe. The main road is sometimes marked with signs stating "Forest Road #080". Once at the basin, take the right fork of the road and the track climbs to the west ridge of Duke Mountain. Make sure to have and use a good map when driving to the trailhead.

Route Description

This is the shortest and easiest route to the summit, but the drive to the trailhead is longer than any other route described. From Paulsin Basin (see above), either walk ro drive the very steep 4wd road up to the west ridge of Duke Mountain. Note that this track is not shown on any maps. It is best to park and walk at one especially steep section. The track continues east and then south along the ridge. Beyond the end of the track, there is no trail. Follow the ridge south and then east to the summit. There is some minor scrambling.

If you can manage driving the 4wd track, the round trip distance is only three miles. If not the round trip distance is about 5.5 miles.


Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.