PC-6, called Yeti, was used...

PC-6, called Yeti, was used...

PC-6, called Yeti, was used on the Dhaulagiri expedition in 1960 and is known to be the only plane that landed and started at an altitude of 5700 m. Here at the airport of Pokhara, Nepal. Copyright: Swiss Himalaya Expedition
alpenkalb
on May 10, 2002 10:21 am
Image ID: 7061

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
William Marler

William Marler - May 10, 2002 11:20 am - Voted 10/10

PC 6

Great shot. I met with an old swiss pilot of one of these planes in Kathmandu in 1982. I am trying to remember his name. He used to fly close to Everest and as I remember he had his own mechanics as he wouldn’t let anyone from Royal Air Nepal touch his plane. He was a very interesting fellow.

ZIMMERBERG

ZIMMERBERG - Oct 22, 2005 4:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: PC 6

Dear Wiliam,

You certainly must be refering to Emil Wick, a legend and pioneer in high altitude flying and landings in the Himalayas. The website below with some good background information, including pictures of Emil Wick, could possibly refresh your memories.

Best regards,

Rene



http://www.flymicro.com/everest/index.cfm?page=docs%2FHistory%2FEmil_Wick.htm

William Marler

William Marler - Oct 24, 2005 11:31 am - Voted 10/10

Re: PC 6

Yes that was his name. Very interesting fellow. I spent the afternoon at his house while my friend enterviewed him. Thanks for the links. Cheers William

misterioustraveler - Jul 31, 2016 3:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Yeti still there

The Pilatus Porter is a great, little aircraft but this one didn't make it back. This is from the 'Himalayan Peaks'-website: 'The expedition also utilised a plane, named the Yeti, to transport supplies and people onto the Saddle between Dhaulagiri and Tukche-Ri. It was flown by Swiss pilots Ernst Saxer and Emil Wick.On March 28th Diemberger and Forrer were dropped by the Yeti on the Dapa col close to Dhaulagiri with supplies. The duo set up an acclimatisation camp on the col and in the next days, the rest of the expedition was airlifted in. But all suffered from altitude sickness and acclimatisation difficulties in the following days because they had risen so sudden in altitude using the plane.(...) Meanwhile the Yeti was back in operation and had dropped Eiselin on the mountain. But on the morning of the 5th, it crashed whilst attempting to take off from the glacier. The pilots were unhurt but the plane could not be recovered from its awkward position.'
From what i heard, the wreck is still there now, where would it go to, anyway ? It's the right place for such a plane to crash, certainly, if you can do it with no harm to your pilots.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4