Peak 12221(Silver Divide)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.46525°N / 118.90966°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12221 ft / 3725 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Peak 12221 is located in the John Muir Wilderness, along the Silver Divide South of Mammoth. Denoted as Evon on some maps, Peak 12221 is one of the high points along the Silver Divide. While the mountain does not afford the most technical climbing or scrambling the views from the summit are spectacular. One can see Banner and Ritter to the North and the Mono Recesses to the South(including Hilgard, Gabb, Abbot, Mills). The standard route is an easy one mile class 1 sand slog up the West slope from Silver Pass. The mountain probably sees very few visitors, though as of July 2004 there was no register at the top to confirm this.

Getting There

The base of the climb is most easily accessed from the Lake Thomas Edison trailhead on the West side of the Sierras. Take Highway 168E in Clovis for approximately 68 miles. Then turn right onto Kaiser Pass Rd, and follow this road for another 15 miles(this road becomes very narrow and windy). Then turn left onto Aqueduct Rd toward Mono Hot Spring. Continue past Mono Hot Spring up to the Vermillion Campground at Lake Thomas Edison. From here the trail takes off from behind the campground around the North side of the lake and then North on the John Muir Trail to Silver Pass. One may also hike past the Graveyard Meadows and over Goodale Pass, looping back to Silver Pass(Same trailhead).
One of the approaches from the Eastern Sierras would be to hike up McGee Creek over McGee Pass then back down to the JMT/PCT, heading South to Silver Pass. This trail begins just SW of Lake Crowley. It may also be possible to scramble up the peak's NE ridge from Lake Izaak Walton.
Silver Pass can also be reached from Lake Mary in the Mammoth area, by heading over to Duck Lake, then South on the JMT/PCT.

Red Tape

No special restrictions for climbing/hiking in the area. A standard Forest Service Issue overnight permit is necessary to camp in the back country.
On Lake Thomas Edison one can take a ferry ride across the lake, cutting 5 miles off the distance each way. There is a $9 one way charge, and a $16 round trip charge.
Visit the Vermillion Valley Resort website for ferry times and detailed directions to the lake.

When To Climb

It is possible to climb the peak year round. Though peak climbing season is between May and October. Outside of those times, snow will often hinder the approach, making it long and slow. There is probably a lot of good backcountry skiing on the Silver Divide, for those adventurous enough to make it there.

Camping

The Vermillion Campground, Lake Crowly Campground, and the Cold Water Campground offer pay campsites near the respective trailheads. Vermillion Valley Resort also offers indoor lodging, a store, and restraunt at Lake Thomas Edison. Backcountry camping is free, unless you want to reserve a permit.

Mountain Conditions

For permits and conditions on the East side contact the USFS Ranger Station in Bishop at 760-873-2500.
Inyo National Forest


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.