Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.33362°N / 118.78233°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12918 ft / 3937 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This peak, also nicknamed "Black Bear Peak", looms over Black Bear and Big Bear Lakes, in the Bear Lakes Basin area of the High Sierra. It connects with Feather Peak via a 1/2 mile pinnacled ridge. The thin summit pinnacle requires a 4th class move.

RJ Secor decribes a 1966 ascent of the peak's NE Ridge, during which the climbers found a 25-year old register documenting the first ascent of the peak (circa 1941).


looking east at Pk 12918' (left) and Feather Peak (right), from White Bear Lake

Getting There

Easiest access is via the Pine Creek Trail. The two most common routes are as follows:

From Bear Lakes Basin: scramble up the class 2 west ridge between Black Bear and Big Bear Lakes to quickly access the summit.
Bear Lakes Basin can be accessed from Granite Park via Italy and Dancing Bear Passes.

From Granite Park: from the west end of the valley below Italy Pass, head south. You can gain the northeast ridge of Pk 12918' from here, which RJ Secor rates as Class 2.

The summit pinnacle requires a 4th class move and offers an airy perch.


location map

Red Tape

This is located in the Sierra National Forest portion of John Muir Wilderness. Standard wilderness permits are required; depending on the trailhead used there may be a quota.

Camping

Granite Park and Bear Lakes Basin offer some of the most beautiful High Sierra backcountry camping in the entire range. You really can't go wrong anywhere in this vicinity.

External Links

climber.org trip report