Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.38820°N / 77.0047°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 7, 2003
I have done this hike many times, but this was my last hike before my trip to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I started from the Clark's Ferry Bridge for the true summit of the ridge. I started at about three in the afternoon. The trail starts off across from the parking lot on the other side of the railroad tracks and climbs some ties. The trail then climbs steadily up along the head of the mountain with a few switchbacks before reaching a pretty level area with stone walls and foundations. There are some nice views across the river to Duncannon. The trail then seems to head down but it is just actually turning around the head of the mountain. From here the trail climbs steadily and steeply in some places to a point of rocks hanging over the true head of the mountain. The trail goes around them but with a quick scramble to the top you have beautiful views to Duncannon, and south to Harrisburg. The trail then easily climbs to the summit ridge. It stays on the narrow rock ridge for about 45 minutes until the trail starts to turn south and make a loop around the actual summit. From here to the actual summit there is no trail, but you'll know when you're there. It is about a hundred foot vertical scramble up some ledges to the true summit. From here you have wonderful views in all directions. There are also beautiful views of the river and how it snakes through the hills. From here descend via the same way you came or continue on to the Clark's Ferry Hut, or Peter's Mountain Hut. It is a great liesurely 3 hour hike with some nice views of the capitol region. I do this hike many times a year in preparation for trips to the White Mountains. It is also a great sunset trip.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Peters MountainTrip Reports