-20c sleeping bags: ALPS Mountaineering

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
atavist

-20c sleeping bags: ALPS Mountaineering

by atavist » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:20 am

I'm looking for a cold weather sleeping bag (rated -20c to -40c). I am seeing a bunch of really cheap bags from ALPS Mountaineering. Priced between $50-150. I am actually seeing good reviews although they seem to be all synthetic and possibly heavier than other brands. Can anyone vouch for these bags or am I better off to pay more for something from TNF or Marmot?

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: -20c sleeping bags: ALPS Mountaineering

by Scott » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:00 am

Can anyone vouch for these bags or am I better off to pay more for something from TNF or Marmot?

It depends on what you want to do. Alps Mountaineering bags work fine for car camping, but I wouldn't recommend them for mountaineering or long distance backpacking. A lot of the scouts I take backpacking sometimes try to use these. They are a nightmare for backpacking. My son had to carry half of his friend's stuff due to the bulk of these bags.

If you are just going to camp by the car, they are good value. If you plan on carrying them, they are not.

I am actually seeing good reviews

You may want to take a closer look at some of those reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineer ... ewpoints=1

Great for car/base camping

This bag is awesome in cold temperatures. However, it's heavy. You DO NOT want to backpack with this thing

-
Warm and toasty, but not for backpacking
-
It's super roomy so it would fit a larger person. But this bag is bulky and works for car camping but I'm not sure if it could be used while backpacking.
-
I love it for car camping
-
Warm, reliable, and trustworthy bag, but it's heavy and bulky.
-
I dont like that its bulky and a bit heavy
-
This sleeping bag is GIGANTIC. Not appropriate for backpacking at all.

Most of the good reviews say something similar.

atavist

by atavist » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:37 am

I saw the ALPS Mountaineering -30c bag listed at 15 lbs. Obviously that is heavy although it was a rectangle fit, not a mummy bag. I figure the mummy bags will be lighter and less bulky. I need a new bag for Khan Tengri later this year then would use it for other high altitude peaks (at most once a year). I don't plan to use it for any backpacking trips. For Khan Tengri, I will fly onto the glacier then have short distances between camps, of course, 15 lbs is too much even for short distances above 6000m.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:34 pm

The items you do not want to cheap out on are boots and bags. A good quality down bag (Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, Valandre) will last many, many years if cared for properly. Find other places to save money.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Scott

no avatar
Mandragora

by Mandragora » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Have you ever had a look at Cumulus?

Is a great company with very friendly service and with great products. Perhaps the Cumulus Alaska 1300 might do the job for you

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... d=57&vid=6

You can see my review of the Panyam 600 with Hydrophobic Down here: https://olympusmountaineering.wordpress ... ag-review/

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:51 pm

I figure the mummy bags will be lighter and less bulky.

The reviews I linked to are for the mummy bag. Those bags aren't even recommended for a short scout backpacking trip, let alone Khan Tengri. They should be used for car camping only.

atavist

by atavist » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:49 am

Next challenge: I'm stuck in Shanghai so where to shop. I normally try to buy equipment in USA. Shopping in east China offers high prices and poor selection (not to mention quality).

Return to Gear