A Chance to Make Things Right in SP's Photo World

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
PellucidWombat

A Chance to Make Things Right in SP's Photo World

by PellucidWombat » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:39 am

OK, normally I don't pander for votes.

I'm sure many of you have had similar complaints with SP being a poor website for filtering your best photos to actually being your highest rated photos. Two of mine that have irked me were my top 2 rated photos:

one was taken from my lazy ass on an airplane :roll:

and the other wasn't even taken by me! :oops:

I think they are both where they are due to some of the problematic artifacts of the SP voting system.

But FINALLY! A truly good photo (artistically, by showing something cool, taken by the poster, and (especially) actually taken while climbing) has risen to 3rd place. :o

Make a difference here :D

I think with 10 or so more votes (depending on what the wacky SP system decides your opinion is worth) a photo that deserves to be my #1 photo could actually be my #1 photo! Consider this a silly rant if you will, but for those who feel my pain :cry: , help me remove this mild but lingering annoyance. I'll happily do the same for you if there is ever an opportunity to set things right :lol:

Josh Lewis

Re: A Chance to Make Things Right in SP's Photo World

by Josh Lewis » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:48 am

Too bad I already voted for that photo well before this thread, so can't help you there. I know exactly how you feel! 8) :lol:

I been considering something lately about SP, sometimes I suppose what others like about my photography can range quite a deal about how I might like a photo. And then there is the "exposure" (views) factor. :wink:

As for my voting, sometimes I may like a photo but won't vote on it (let's say the person's most rated photo) and then I may like there second most rated photo more than there first which then I'll give a vote. Not that I didn't like the other photo, but you help boost the one you liked the most.
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:50 pm

I tried a slightly different approach, and down voted the Mt. Huntinton photo (you did take it from an airplane for crying out load) - which now makes that your # 6 photo. I tried several different votes, from 1 to 9 to see the impact. Amazingly any vote of 1 to 7 put the picture in the same # 6 location. But a vote of 8 left it the the # 1 postition. Go figure.

In reality it is a beautiful photo and I would have voted 10, but remember, you asked for the help! :wink:

And yes, I would agree, that SP can be a lousy filter in regards to photo quality/usefulness.

The following user would like to thank MarkDidier for this post
PellucidWombat

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Sorry, but I'm not gonna play.

Anyway, this has always been my favorite photo of yours: :wink:
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
PellucidWombat

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm inclined to agree that the ratings of our photos on SP don't seem to actually correlate with their quality as photos. Still, I do think that my no. 1 photo is probably my best if not one of my best. My hiking buddy disagrees; he considers the photo below to be my best although it is no. 28 according to the voters on SP. Maybe it is because he was there when I took it.

mvs

by mvs » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:41 pm

I actually like the 2nd photo the best. Sorry but I've seen way too many pictures like the 3rd one. It's practically corporate art nowadays. Just add a caption: "Who do you trust for your risk management solutions? Corbain Bankers (New York/Tokyo/London)" :D

Nobody cares about the airplane thing except the 1-2 people here who already mentioned it. For one thing, most pictures snapped while daisy chained into a rotting nest of RURPs might have huge credibility, but they generally suck. :p

I kid, but I love. :)

The following user would like to thank mvs for this post
PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:44 pm

MarkDidier wrote:I tried a slightly different approach, and down voted the Mt. Huntinton photo

Hm, that works too. :D I didn't include direct links to the top 2 photos because I was worried that some sickos might vote them up to torture me :lol:

The Huntington photo also bothers me because while it is a cool looking mountain, there is nothing else really going for the photo - it seems too much like your boilerplate POTD from your typical Big Mountain range.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:28 am

When I go out to climb a mountain, i usually try and take useful photos instead of 'good' photos, but I have noticed the same thing with the weird half assed pictures I take sometimes and the photos i actually put some effort into. Oh well, people will stumble over them eventually and the cream will rise
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:12 am

CSUMarmot wrote:"... people will stumble over them eventually and the cream will rise"

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:04 am

lcarreau wrote:
CSUMarmot wrote:"... people will stumble over them eventually and the cream will rise"

And thats why I climb mountains, so I can have my fatty cream filled doughnuts everyday and not feel one bit of remorse
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 am

Pelludid, both your pics are good as the third one. I don't understand this thread Pellucid. What are you trying to say :?:

Return to General