Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Advice for Getting off Work

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby Augie Medina » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:01 am

SP's Employment Advice Division has spoken. Now do the right thing. :lol: :lol:
Augie Medina

Re: Advice for Getting off Work

Postby Outside » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:38 am

What can I say that will give me the best chances of getting the time off ?

Try "I quit"
Outside

Postby Smoove910 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:54 am

Since you do not know what your priorities are, I think you should find a couple more 'forums' online and ask them for advise. Nothing like reading this thread and wondering 'what do you do' only to have you not answer what your job is.

I think it's funny how people ask for this sort of advise, especially when the complete story isn't there on these forums, but that's just me.

How about you answer a couple questions...

1.) What is your job exactly?
2.) What made you think you didn't have to mention it in an interview? (I'm not sure about you, but there's nothing else on my mind EXCEPT the 'big trip' weeks before it happens)
3.) Which is really more important to you, trip or job?

I would also suspect that if you have a family that you should just buck up and stick with the job. Especially since, as previously mentioned, jobs are not plentiful in these times.

Personally I would test the waters with the manager and at least explain your situation and ask. There's no reason to walk on thin ice around a new work environment. If by asking a simple request is frowned upon, then maybe the job isn't in your best interest long-term.

Good luck either way!
Smoove910

Postby SpiderSavage » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:55 pm

Jobs and money are overrated.

Plenty of free food in trash cans. We work hard so we can do what? Go Camping!!! Why not camp full time? Plenty of gear in trash bins, thrift stores & lying around the base of major crags.

I've done it. It works.
SpiderSavage

Postby Tonka » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:16 pm

I'm surprised at how many responses seem to be looking up to the employer like some god. Unless your 16 and working at McDonalds just tell them that you have a vacation planed, you should had said something earlier but didn't and your sorry. If that don't fly your working for a shity company so who cares if they fire you. Don't let "the man" run you.
Tonka

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Tonka wrote:I'm surprised at how many responses seem to be looking up to the employer like some god.

No, we are just telling him to look at his employer as someone who can fire him, and is responsible to his own bosses.

The worst merit review I ever received came after I gave one of my workers freer range than she deserved. She took unannounced vacations, didn't finish the work, and the blame was put squarely on me.

Perhaps we could give better advice (as pointed out by other posters) if we knew what the job entailed.
MoapaPk

Postby bird » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:35 pm

Good luck with that. Should have brought it up during the interview.
When I used to work for other people, whenever I got a new job, I always added the final negotiation, that I had already paid for a trip about 2 months from the proposed start date, and I didn't want to lose the money I already paid for the trip, so they always said "no problem". Half the time I didn't have a trip, booked, but went out and booked one after I started the job. I guess I really didn't change jobs all that often, so I probably did this 3-4 times. It always worked out great.
bird

Postby JasonH » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:35 pm

In this day and age, don't risk your job. Unemployment isn't fun.
JasonH

Postby kevin trieu » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:49 pm

at 26, you can survive on bread and water. i say stick it to the man! (says a corporate slave)
kevin trieu

Postby peladoboton » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:59 pm

1- work your ass off so you are invaluable
2- plan well in advance
3- don't ever lie to your boss
4- return from your trips with a smile on your face and work harder than you ever have before during that first week back

the above tells your boss you are committed, you are organized, you are honest, and that letting you get out is beneficial to the company.

in this job market your boss can usually find someone to replace you fast if any of the above are in question.

(following the above is how i, in one year of residency, backpakced a whole week in Idaho, climbed for a week in Colorado, and spent a whole week on the Ruth Glacier)
peladoboton

Postby outofstep80 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:12 pm

Tonka wrote:I'm surprised at how many responses seem to be looking up to the employer like some god. Unless your 16 and working at McDonalds just tell them that you have a vacation planed, you should had said something earlier but didn't and your sorry. If that don't fly your working for a shity company so who cares if they fire you. Don't let "the man" run you.

I don't see it as an issue of looking up to an employeer like they are a God. I see it more as being straight forward and respectful. I expect my company to treat me with respect and be straight forward about things, in return I expect myself to act with no less consideration.

edit: At the same time I think you should be able to approach your employeer about the situation. I would probably appologize for not being up front about the vacation and let them know prior to their answer that I completely understand if I can't have off.
outofstep80

PreviousNext

Return to General