Another AT question

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Ed F

by Ed F » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:51 pm

From the (constructive) comments here, it seems the new AT boots can serve all purposes pretty well. I'd like to get the dynafit bindings, but I'm worried about release. Otherwise I think they would work for me at the resort. It's not like I'm skiing 50 days per year.

Hi there,
As someone else said, the primary consideration for you is how many days you plan to ski, and then how many at resorts vs. how many touring. Also, when you tour, will you be doing primarily "slackcountry" where you use resort gates, or will you be actually touring for turns? If you plan to be a mostly resort skier, then burly AT boots with Freerides are probably the way to go. You'll get plenty of performance with modern AT boots and the Freeride is a better choice if you're putting resort-type force on your bindings with moguls and hardpack snow. If you're going to be touring more than riding lifts, then you'll want to start considering weight and other factors and you might like the Dynafit.

The main thing is that touring bindings aren't necessarily made for the types of force you put on them lapping it up at resorts. If you ski less than 50 days per year, it probably won't make a difference overall. If you were logging over 100 days, you might prematurely wear out a touring binding in the resort, and touring bindings are expensive, so in that situation you might want a resort-only rig.

If I were you, I'd mount up those Havocs with the Fritschi Freeride or Eagle. Take a look at Scarpa and Crispi boots: they both make really burly AT boots. I like Scarpa and Crispi because they both feature a cross-ankle strap that holds your heel in nicely for the skin up.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:55 pm

justing wrote:
FortMental wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:The most important tip is to spend as much money as possible, it will make you a better skier.

HA HA HA HA!

...and get duplicate gear...you'll be twice as good!

I don't get your snarky comment. I'm trying to get one setup to do it all. Lots of people on this site have a dedicated backcountry setup and a dedicated downhill setup. Why not just get some silvrettas and use your mountaineering boots at the resort? Anything more is duplication right?

From the (constructive) comments here, it seems the new AT boots can serve all purposes pretty well. I'd like to get the dynafit bindings, but I'm worried about release. Otherwise I think they would work for me at the resort. It's not like I'm skiing 50 days per year.

Don't take it personally dude, we were just having fun with each other. I am in the biz and this is something we remind each other of all the time....hey, if it weren't for Texas folks buying high end ski and mountaineering gear...the industry would be bankrupt!

Previous

Return to Gear