Another Round in the Flagstaff Mountain Debate

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
builttospill

Another Round in the Flagstaff Mountain Debate

by builttospill » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:23 am

I happened across this article by Alta Mayor Tom Pollard today:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/50293505-82/town-alta-avalanche-public.html.csp

I don't have the time or expertise to formulate a genuine response, but it would be nice if someone would--it would be a shame to let the misinformation about "skier compaction" persist simply because everyone expects someone else will write a formal letter or op-ed. (can you say collective action/public goods problem? - nerd humor).

I mention this because I know not everyone reads the entire paper daily, so its easy to miss.

And as an aside, I don't know why they couldn't get a focused shot of Pollard for the newspaper....who the hell is the photographer here?

no avatar
Dan Shorb

Re: Another Round in the Flagstaff Mountain Debate

by Dan Shorb » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:06 am

Thanks for sharing.

From his article:

It is interesting — and hypocritical — that the stakeholders are content to let one ski resort (Snowbird) expand to its heart’s content for purely economic gain, but are happy to throw the Town of Alta’s public safety interests under the bus over a mere thought of a chairlift.

Poor Baby is using the "They get to do it Mom, why can't I? You're unfair," argument...... Anyone with teenagers knows this one well. I guess he needs some parenting.

The installation of Gazexes in this area could cost over $10 million and would still leave many starting zones uncontrolled.

I don't know how this leads to a justification of a chairlift.

I know an easy, cost effective and user friendly method. It's called "Dawn Patrol" Pollard. Hand charge the shit out of it. Pay some backcounty enthusiasts minimal dollars to head up there and bring it down regularly. We do anyway.
我不知道杰克

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)