Any info on east & southeast side of Mono Lake?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
phydeux

Any info on east & southeast side of Mono Lake?

by phydeux » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:32 am

I was looking at the area on a paper map and noticed there's an 'unimproved' road that goes from Hwy 167 around the east/southeast side of the lake and back around to the tufa towers/Lee Vining area. I was thinking it might make an interesting MTB ride next spring or fall (depending on any seasonal bird nesting restrictions). Web available info lists it as the location of a former rail line during the area's mining glory days. The road doesn't appear on Google Maps, even on the satellite images. Anybody been back there in the last few years? Does the dirt road even exist anymore?

Greg Enright

Re: Any info on east & southeast side of Mono Lake?

by Greg Enright » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:44 am

The roads on the south and east sides of the lake are way too sandy for mountain bikes. Many locals have been stuck out there in cars and trucks. I remember warning signs just east of Navy Beach to keep tourists from heading out that way in passenger vehicles.

The roads that head northeast from Mono Mills area toward the lake can be very sandy also.

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:58 am

While the mountain biking may suck, the shore of the lake from the 'South Tufa' area eastward is a great hike. Waves, birds, grasses, and Sand Tufa.

Sand Tufa

phydeux

by phydeux » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks for the info, folks. Might have to break out an "Iditabike" to do it? :o (those Iditarod dudes are way too crazy! :D )

From maps and satellite images it appears to be about 45-50 miles around the lake (including Hwys 395 & 167). Also the east and southeast areas appear to be relatively flat (probably the lake bottom that's been exposed by the LADWP water diversions and normal evaporation), and quite barren (as 1000pks mentioned), then a little hilly on the south side around the Mono Craters uplift area. Might do some recon next spring at both ends and see how it goes for a few miles at each end; at least if I oculd get into some interesting new areas (as Greg E. mentions above) it'd be worth a daytrip!

Return to California