Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Beautiful SHASTA Current Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Re: Beautiful SHASTA Current Conditions

Postby yosemiteforlife67 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:18 am

ok, thanks to both of you for your comments. I never have a thought of turning around, it would take something pretty bad for that. My plan was to hike two miles to the base camp area from the parking lot, hang out, maybe climb up a little way sup, and just kick back, day two was going to be my summit day, and day three take it easy , and head back to my vehicle. I have never had any major bad effects of high altitude sickness, but wanted to assure my self the highest level of success with going on some "pre"hikes to some high peaks. I appreciate all that advice, it really gives me a better idea of the focus up there. For whitney, it took some real mental determination to summit, i had come up from the west side, and was really feeling the effects of the elevation, but would not stop until i got to the top. iT SURE WAS WORTH IT!
yosemiteforlife67

Postby yosemiteforlife67 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:41 pm

hey does anyone have more recent pictures of the clear creek route? i am doing that route in just under two weeks. Just curious how much snow is left up there.
yosemiteforlife67

Postby bscott » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:25 am

yosemiteforlife67 wrote:hey does anyone have more recent pictures of the clear creek route? i am doing that route in just under two weeks. Just curious how much snow is left up there.

not much if any. i did the route in early july and we were able to avoid snow the entire way. i did take slight detour on the way down to enjoy a 1,000' glissade, but you will have no problem with snow.

edited to add: we carried but never used crampons and ice ax.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.
bscott

Postby clmbr » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:03 am

On 20 of September, 2014, Saturday, the weather was gorgeous (perhaps too gorgeous for Konwakiton Glacier). The Clear Creek route was completely dry and several people attempted it in one day. The upper Whitney Glacier was very broken. Have not seen it like that for a quite long time.

clmbr

Postby mtnlvrgirl » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:23 am

Found this on the internet-cool pictures of the mudslide.
http://mountshastaguide.com/blog/
mtnlvrgirl

Postby clmbr » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:44 pm

Here is how it looked that day. There was a 72 year old gentleman climbing that route solo. Impressive! No excuses! :o :)

clmbr

Previous

Return to California