Boot Choice

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
AsianBigfoot2

by AsianBigfoot2 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:40 am

seanh wrote:
Autoxfil wrote:Try on boots by Kayland, Scarpa, Asolo and Mammut. It's all about the fit, and there are enough choices out there you shouldn't compromise.

Haha, yeah I love when I see that advice. It must be nice in fantasyland where stores ever have a selection that good, AND in your size. If I lived in golden and could just hope over to bent gate I'd definitely do that.

You bring up a good point.

Do what I have done:

Zappo's has a great return policy that includes them paying for shipping BOTH WAYS.

When I was looking for boots I bought 4 different pairs of boots from them to try on. When I narrowed it down to one brand/pair, I sent the rest back. I then had to buy 3 different sizes of that boot to make sure I was getting the proper size. When I chose the size I wanted, I shipped back the rest! Doing all that inside of 4 weeks so I don't get charged any interest on my credit card.

seanh

by seanh » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks to the sp'ers that responded. After a second trying-on session, I realized the nepals's fit my heels perfectly. In my experience, that's been the biggest trouble shot, and when it's right, it's right. (Incidentally, it's why I'm a super loyal 5.10 anasazi vcs user. A-mazing!! rock shoe if your foot fits it right, perfect on edging, still works great for steeps and bouldering.)

I wanted the lowa's to be "the boot", but the sportivas fit real well (better than the lowa's), and they're on sale right nor for $380 at alpenglow gear. I think they'll cut it for approaches, the more I think about it. Will write a review after 4-5 months on em. Thanks again, sorry for yet another boot thread.

Sorry if I seemed pissy about trying on shoes and not having great seletion. I realize it might be the "best" option to go to wilson's east side sports or elsewhere and try on everything possible, but if I did that, I'd definitely feel roped in to paying their price. I've spent quite a bit at REI and don't feel too too bad about trying on shoes there and buying online, but if I did that at a true local shop, I'd feel compelled to buy from them. Yet, $380 for nepal's is too good a deal to pass up. Sorry REI.

I've also gotta say though, I feel less bad for the sellers in this situation than I do with respect to real rock shoes. That system of purchasing is just stupid. If I were 5.10, or La Sportiva, I'd do this: Make people who carry my shoes carry the full line, in most, if not all sizes. No in store stock. You try on in store, and buy by ordering. Any in store incentives to purchase the shoes, I'd make work this way: if you want to offer a discount, the store pays the difference to the brand. I think that'd be fair, and at least give people a chance to try out all of my brand's shoes and find what actually works for them.

Previous

Return to Gear