Bulgarian mountains - Rila and Pirin seeking advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
AlpineTrails

Bulgarian mountains - Rila and Pirin seeking advice

by AlpineTrails » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi guys. Me and my friend decided to go for a few days in Bulgaria and cover the highest peaks in there. I've read the posts about those mountains and gathered some infos around the net and cropped a plan for a few days. Unfortunately soem were in bulgarian and I don't have the times for the routes.
If somebody already done it or has some info that can help us that would be nice.
Our plan is like this:

We will reach Borovets on the 29th and stay in a hotel.

30th sept - we will take the cable car to save some time to Yastrebets. from there we plan the following:

- Yastrebets – Musala Hut – Everest refugee– Musala Peak (2925 m) - I know this is an easy walk however we don't know how long will take
Return: we could go back the way we came but we would like something more challenging. so I thought we could do this:
- Musala Peak - Malka Musala (2902) -Irecek (2852) - Sfinksa - Deno - (2790) - Musala Hut - Yasterbets Can this route be done? I understoon might be a green marked trail until some pint but then is just following the ridge towards the hut. I would actually like some advices in case is going to be foggy and we won't be able to see the hut. How many hours should this last? What rock climbing grade should we expect?

From Musala Hut we plan to go back to Borovets and move forward to Bansko. We got a car so the actual problem might be the cable car which I understand is closing around 6:30pm. So ideally would be to get to Yasterbets before 6pm to save the 3 hours trip down to Borovets.

We plan sleeping in Bansko and on 1st oct to reach Vihren hut by car. we got a room in there so we'll grab smth to eat and move on. Our plan is like this:

Vihren Hut - Kazana refugee - Koncheto ridge - Shodolski peak - Kutelo peak- Vihren peak - Vihren saddle - Vihren Hut
Or the way around.. we haven't made up out mind yet. The idea is we would liek to reach Koncheto and approach the next 2 peaks on the ridge meaning Shodolski and Kutelo than turn around and go to Vihren.

I found that from Vihren hut to the peak is around 3- 3.30h hike and then from the peak to Kutelo.. back in Koncheto and to the hut around 5h and is marked with a green line. Is that correct?

We've climbed much harder peaks so we got some experience and proper equipment. Thanks

Return to Europe