Chat

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Josh Lewis

Re: Chat

by Josh Lewis » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:39 pm

@ LesterLong, I'll have to look into that. Until mid-night of last night, I was swamped with homework and such which ate up my free time. I'm a free man which means I can start putting SP V4 back in motion. :D

RickF wrote:In all of this time I had no idea there was a chat feature.

It was only around for a certain time frame (a year?). Because I wasn't a member when it first came out, I can't be sure how long it existed. I didn't get to use it much since it went away quickly after I returned. So no, there is no chat feature right now. It was at the bottom of the site as a fixed object (as in you would see it even if you were at the top of the page). Kinda like Facebook.

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
LesterLong

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:07 am

Josh if I was on FaceBook I would poke you on a daily basis.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:31 am

Note to self, if Chad joins facebook, create fake account that he can poke thinking he is annoying me. :)

LesterLong

by LesterLong » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:47 am

Josh Lewis wrote:@ LesterLong, I'll have to look into that. Until mid-night of last night, I was swamped with homework and such which ate up my free time. I'm a free man which means I can start putting SP V4 back in motion. :D

Congrats on finishing school! In looking through past posts there appears to be a mild but certain desire for chat. Thanks for looking into it!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:24 pm

As was suggested before, please make it an option to have Chat completely hidden if it comes back. Many people, myself included, found it incredibly annoying and intrusive even when it was disabled.

And make it so the user has to enable it, not disable it. Put the extra burden on those very few that actually want the feature.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

LesterLong

by LesterLong » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:03 pm

Bob, what made the chat incredibly annoying?

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:55 pm

LesterLong wrote:Bob, what made the chat incredibly annoying?

For starters it would sometimes automatically open in a certain way. But I'm sure that could have been a bug that could be fixed. So a heads up, if we do consider bringing back the chat feature, it will be lower on the priority list considering there is a lot of things to work out on the site. The good news is I logged it in the main "to do list" as under review. This means that even if months go by, it will never go completely forgotten. :)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:59 am

If we get chat back again, please make it so that any new member can initiate a chat with Mr. Sihler when they get the welcome message from SP.

: - )))

Previous

Return to Site Feedback