Climbing in the Santa Clarita area

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Steve Larson

Climbing in the Santa Clarita area

by Steve Larson » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:10 am

On the way back from Castaic this afternoon we took the scenic route, and not far from I-5 I spied a decent crag and some cliff bands that looked like they might yield some routes. I've seen some pretty interesting looking crags flying into LAX as well, though I'm not really sure where they are or how to get to them. So, I was wondering, does anyone know if there has been much route development in that area east of I-5 and north of SR 14?

no avatar
JJBrunner

Re: Climbing in the Santa Clarita area

by JJBrunner » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:22 am

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:25 pm

JJBrunner wrote:http://mountainproject.com/v/california/los_angeles_county/angeles_national_forest/106644136

That's the only place I've been able to find info on. There is a lot of exposed rock in that area. I don't want to go out and try to put up routes without knowing a little more about who's been active, access, "ethics", etc.

no avatar
JJBrunner

by JJBrunner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:36 am

How big of an area are you talking about? Keep in mind that for the most part the rock quality is really poor for climbing. The well-traveled routes at Texas Canyon are kind of the exception, and even then, some bolts out there are questionable (although mostly on the less-traveled routes). I've been trying to get out to Texas Canyon a lot lately and would be interested in what you find around the area.

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:33 pm

The particular crag I saw was about the size of the biggest formation in Texas Canyon. The cliff bands across the way had more area, but it wasn't clear how much of that terrain was suitable for climbing. I'll post up some beta when I get around to exploring more.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Steve, I live right where Bouquet Canyon Rd. enters Texas Canyon and I've seen some of those "crags" through there, but much of the vertical in that area is loose sandstone. Though there is plenty of non-technical stuff to goof around on in the area.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cQhiZKlkDA[/youtube]

You also might be able to find a few legitimate short climbs just north east of the Aqua Dulce area, but many of those are on privet property. In fact the wife and myself a looking at a piece of dirt back there right now.

Also, if you exit in Castaic like you're going to the Lake, just continue passed the main entrance of the big (upper) lake for a few miles. Keep your head up for a crag to your south during the drive; it's hard to miss. It's about a mile off the road and I've never been out to it, but it looks promising.

Not even a mile: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 8&t=h&z=18

Return to California