Climbing near San Antonio?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
dunsum

Climbing near San Antonio?

by dunsum » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:35 pm

Wondering if there is any climbing near San Antonio.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian.

jeffh25

by jeffh25 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:21 pm

San Antonio, TX? If that's it, it would just depend on what you're looking for. San Antonio's probably only 1,000 ft. above sea level so there's no real mountains. Enchanted Rock is within 80-100 miles if you were looking for rock climbing. Otherwise you've got the Hill Country all around you, which would have lots of great hikes. You've got to get out to West Texas before you find anything in the 5,000-8,000 ft range.

dunsum

by dunsum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks Jeff... I think Enchanted is what I'm looking for.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:37 pm

There's probably lots of good limestone. Lots in Austin and also I'm pretty certain there's stuff somewhat near there as well. Maybe check rockclimbing.com or mountainproject.com for additional info. Enchanted Rock of course, but that's granite. Looks really fun though.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Austin has the Greenbelt and there's also Reimers Ranch but I don't know if they're still open. Some good climbing areas on private propoerty in Texas have been closed due to libaility in our litigous society.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:38 pm

DukeJH wrote:Austin has the Greenbelt and there's also Reimers Ranch but I don't know if they're still open. Some good climbing areas on private propoerty in Texas have been closed due to libaility in our litigous society.

From this site, there don't appear to be any restrictions to climbing there: http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/reimers_ranch.asp.

Also, for the record, closures due to landowner's fear of liability are just that, fear. There are very few instances of landowners being successfully sued for people getting injured on their property, particularly when they're engaging in an activity viewed as risky as rock climbing. Unless you've planted land mines and neglected to inform anybody of that, you're probably OK.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)