Compact camara

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
jplemarie

Compact camara

by jplemarie » Tue May 31, 2011 9:55 pm

Hello there,

Anyone can recommend a good compact camera for mountaineering? I was comparing the Canon SX 30i with the Canon G 12, any suggestions? the budget is 400 - 500.

Regards,

JP

Sarah Simon

Re: Compact camara

by Sarah Simon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 am

JP,

I use this camera: Olypus Stylus Tough.

It is much more resilient than other compact cameras I've owned, the battery doesn't konk out in cold weather, it's waterproof down to 33 feet / 10 meters, holds up well to being dropped/knocked into rock, etc. It's quite below your budget, too - what a plus.

I've been very pleased with this camera and know many other climbers who use the same camera and are happy with it.

Cheers,
Sarah
Go climb a mountain

The following user would like to thank Sarah Simon for this post
jplemarie

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:45 am

Olympu Stylus is pretty tried and true. I have a film version. For digital I have a Panasonic Lumix that I really like, although it is probably not as durable as the Stylus Tough.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
jplemarie

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:07 am

It's pretty hard to go far wrong with a compact digital camera these days. I usually tell people to get last year's model and save some money.

The Canon G12 and SX30 are both seriously capable cameras. The major difference is that the sx30 has a much larger optical zoom range, which I'd certainly find very useful. A big zoom range gives you a lot of freedom to compose the photos you want. The downside is that the SX30 is about three times bulkier, which makes it a lot harder to carry and use on difficult terrain. In fact it's about the same size as a Canon Rebel SLR, so I'm not sure why Canon calls it a "compact" camera.

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
jplemarie

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:29 am

The Stylus are indestructible and produce mediocre images.
If you want higher quality photos, check into the Canon S95 (if you're after really small, be aware though, I found it too small for my hands to trust not dropping it), the G12 for tons of customization, or the Panasonic LX5 which has a gorgeous lens. Any of these P&S will give you great quality. There is also the TS10 from panasonic, which is more durable than the S95/G12/LX5 but provides a better image quality than the Stylus. I wouldn't worry so much about the long end on the lens as the wide angle, which you'll use far more often. This is one of the really nice things about the LX5, which has a nice, wide 24 mm equivalent.

The following user would like to thank spiritualspatula for this post
jplemarie

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:49 am

I've had a Canon SX100 for 3 years, it's served me well, and fits right in my pocket for easy retrieval. I actually just broke it yesterday though (dropped it on the ground), so I'm considering buying a Canon SX130 tomorrow ($230 ish).

The following user would like to thank Castlereagh for this post
jplemarie

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:23 am

Actually, a compact camera is like a compact car.

If you're comfortable with it, it will give you some "high mileage" if you don't end up abusing it too much.

I have the Canon PowerShot SX 110 with the 10x zoom. It can be rather bulky, but takes good pics as soon as I can get the manual focus figured out,
which will probably take another couple years.

By then, it will be completely obsolete, and be time to get another at the good old department store down the street.

8)
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
jplemarie

albanberg

by albanberg » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:04 pm

You might want to check out the Fujifilm FinePix X100:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmX100/

The following user would like to thank albanberg for this post
jplemarie

no avatar
riblet

by riblet » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:19 pm

I purchased the Sony DSC-TX10 earlier this year, but have not used enough (dropped, etc.) to know how well it holds up. It is spec'd for -10 C, dust proof, waterproof to 5 meters, and impact resistent. It is also only 4.7 ounces with my 32GB card + battery installed, and spare batteries weigh about an ounce.

The following user would like to thank riblet for this post
jplemarie

Winex

by Winex » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:31 pm

I recently purchased a Pentax Optio W90. This camera has 12-megapixels, waterproof down to 20 feet, shockproof to 4 feet, and freezeproof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit. It takes excellent video and is very easy to use. I purchased it for about $250.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... ncol;lst;1

The following user would like to thank Winex for this post
jplemarie

no avatar
pjc30943

by pjc30943 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:11 am

spiritualspatula wrote:If you want higher quality photos, check into the Canon S95 (if you're after really small, be aware though, I found it too small for my hands to trust not dropping it), the G12 for tons of customization...

I use the S90 and have had great results in the mountains. Just FYI the S90/95 are just as customizable as the G12 (which is larger really only because of dials for all functions), with a very few exceptions like a switchable ND filter.

The following user would like to thank pjc30943 for this post
jplemarie

Rinat Shagisultanov

by Rinat Shagisultanov » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:15 am

Panasonic LX-5 - excellent pictures and sufficient zoom. Very good optics. Not as waterproof as Pentax or Olympus, but I take good care of my camera - so it is not a big concern.

The following user would like to thank Rinat Shagisultanov for this post
jplemarie

Kai

by Kai » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:39 am

The Panasonic LX-5 is a great camera. It's my go-to pocket camera for mountaineering. Amazing, fast very wide angle lens.

That said, the Canon S95 is also very good (some would argue as good as the LX-5) and is much much smaller. The S-95 will fit easily into even a small pocket, while the LX-5 requires a large pocket to fit.

I would recommend either the s95 or the LX-5 over the G12. G12 is much bulkier, and that bulk doesn't really get you any additional image quality.

The following user would like to thank Kai for this post
jplemarie

radson

by radson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:48 am

Kai wrote:The Panasonic LX-5 is a great camera. It's my go-to pocket camera for mountaineering. Amazing, fast very wide angle lens.

That said, the Canon S95 is also very good (some would argue as good as the LX-5) and is much much smaller. The S-95 will fit easily into even a small pocket, while the LX-5 requires a large pocket to fit.

I would recommend either the s95 or the LX-5 over the G12. G12 is much bulkier, and that bulk doesn't really get you any additional image quality.

I pretty much agree with you Kai except I would add that the buttons on the S95 are incredibly small and hard to operate with gloves.

The following user would like to thank radson for this post
jplemarie

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:03 am

radson wrote:
I pretty much agree with you Kai except I would add that the buttons on the S95 are incredibly small and hard to operate with gloves.

We don't have that problem here in Arizona. Just proves that bigger is not always better.

Panasonic makes good boom boxes and wireless telephones. I've never tried their cameras, however.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
jplemarie

Next

Return to Gear