Compromise on incomplete pages?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:56 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Folks, let's please not go down this road here. I think the few this applies to know what I mean. :wink:

That was a page ago.

This thread is showing signs of becoming terminally ill. Come on, people.

Lolli

by Lolli » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:10 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:Pages that use 2 different screen-size settings?

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/15 ... lands.html

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix that.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:37 pm

The Chief wrote:Before you start a New Page, have all your shit ready and a draft completed. When one starts, complete it and that is that. Finish what you start and move on. What a concept.

Leaving something to be completed another day or forgetting totally about it just clutters up the system and is completely ridiculous and totally lazy. One can always come back on occasion and edit/update the damn page.

You have my vote to Nuke it Bob if not completed within a established time frame, 24 hours etc.

I'm seeing more support for 24 hrs as opposed to 2 days.

Confounds me people who post half done pages, pretending they will finish them days later. Yes, just wait if you still don't have it done.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:38 pm

At the "delete my account" stage, the elves could ask the former contributor, "may we leave your mountain and area pages up for adoption?"

If no, respect that.

If yes, create an elf-controlled user ("Orphan") that accepts offers to adopt pages.

kamil

by kamil » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:46 pm

truchas wrote:(...) but to expect them to police the accurancy of the content for thousands of pages is rediculous.

Your spelling accuracy is ridiculous.

Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:53 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:At the "delete my account" stage, the elves could ask the former contributor, "may we leave your mountain and area pages up for adoption?"

If no, respect that.

If yes, create an elf-controlled user ("Orphan") that accepts offers to adopt pages.

Many times, the Elves do try to adopt pages out. There have also been times that users offered up their pages before leaving; that is how I got the Canyonlands NP page. Usually, though, people delete their pages on their own and then ask for their accounts to be deleted.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:55 pm

truchas wrote:The only explanation I can think of for someone wanting more than 2 days to create a page would be a very nice page that may take a few days to create. Say someone spent 50 hours creating a page and it took him a week to make it. Just before he creates the page someone else grabs it and all his work is for nothing. By grabbing the page, he knows for sure he won't be wasting his time. This is less likely of an scenario now since most of the "good" mountains have already been submitted.

I still say you do it all in advance, but it's a fair point. Usually, it's easy to tell if such a page is going somewhere. I certainly would leave room for leeway when a member with an established record of quality pages is concerned.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:57 pm

mrchad9 wrote:I'm seeing more support for 24 hrs as opposed to 2 days.

Looking at some submissions from yesterday and today, I'm starting to lean that way, too. SP may have some new custom objects come tomorrow...

Lolli

by Lolli » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:It is too bad that there is not a forum where people can do all of the sniping and character assassination that they want, instead of having to vent their rage in forums that are inappropriate to such behavior.

A forum that could be used to isolate these posts from the rest of the site. Wouldn't it behoove the owners and participants to create such a forum? It could be called Prate and Prattle, for instance.

There's always the possibility of leaving such childish behaviour be, too.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:It is too bad that there is not a forum where people can do all of the sniping and character assassination that they want, instead of having to vent their rage in forums that are inappropriate to such behavior.

A forum that could be used to isolate these posts from the rest of the site. Wouldn't it behoove the owners and participants to create such a forum? It could be called Prate and Prattle, for instance.

Aw come on man! No one wants to do their sniping and character assassination in a forum that allows that crap! I mean, the whole idea is to raise hell and draw attention - you can't do that successfully if everyone else is doing the same thing. :roll:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:00 pm

In an ideal world, the FAQ link would be very obvious, at the top of the page, and the FAQ would contain a discussion about the use of custom objects, page posting etiquette, etc. (it already contains some of this stuff). A person who clicked on the "create mountain page" link would be greeted with a "Stop! Have you read the FAQ and do you understand the time limits for page completion?"

In the real world, I doubt the site owners will make that change... and never underestimate the ability of people to ignore instructions, anyway.

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:27 pm

I tried to create a page on 5.14 climb I did in Nebraska
I put it up fully intending to finish it the next day and that lowlife MrH stole it, copied it word for word, finished it with some inferior verbage and claimed it was his.

It happened again when I tried to write a page on this:
I won't tell you who was guilty that time leafboy!

JasonH

by JasonH » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:32 pm

Husker wrote:I tried to create a page on 5.14 climb I did in Nebraska
I put it up fully intending to finish it the next day and that lowlife MrH stole it, copied it word for word, finished it with some inferior verbage and claimed it was his.

It happened again when I tried to write a page on this:
I won't tell you who was guilty that time leafboy!

Criminal!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:37 am

Bob Sihler wrote:
truchas wrote:The only explanation I can think of for someone wanting more than 2 days to create a page would be a very nice page that may take a few days to create. Say someone spent 50 hours creating a page and it took him a week to make it. Just before he creates the page someone else grabs it and all his work is for nothing. By grabbing the page, he knows for sure he won't be wasting his time. This is less likely of an scenario now since most of the "good" mountains have already been submitted.

I still say you do it all in advance, but it's a fair point. Usually, it's easy to tell if such a page is going somewhere. I certainly would leave room for leeway when a member with an established record of quality pages is concerned.

Yes- I also think best to do it ALL in advance. But to truchas' point- if loosing the page is really a concern, and you are planning to spend 50 hours and want to grab the page (say if it is a National Park or something), the poster could put in 10 hours to hold the page with something that looks reasonable, then finish later. In 10 hours they could post something much better than many of the incomplete pages out there. But putting in 15 minutes work and posting should not be permitted, regardless of what you plan on for later.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback