(Eye) Contacts and Mountaineering

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
blazin

Re: (Eye) Contacts and Mountaineering

by blazin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Invest in breathable contacts that can be worn for multiple days. I don't normally wear contacts, but got tired of fussing with glasses on climbing trips. I went to my ophthalmologist and explained that I was looking for multi-day use contacts and he set me up with a pair that is apparently approved to keep in for up to 7 days. I don't really know how (or if) they are different from regular day-use contacts, but they have worked great for me. They require using special eye drops in the morning and evening to keep the lens clean and the eye lubricated, but keeping a little bottle of drops from freezing is not very hard. The only downside is that I get a lot of eye crud when I wake up in the morning, but have not had any other problems with them. Of course, I carry a spare case of glasses with me on all trips, just in case.

I don't remember the contact model off the top of my head, but can check when I get home.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:29 pm

What type of contacts? If you have astigmatism, there aren't too many options.

I've actually let gas perms, each in a drop of wetting solution, "freeze" overnight. Normally I would bring them inside the bag.

But recently I had cataract surgery, and got rid of the need for contacts. The deciding factor was: the second time in a year when I dropped a lens and lost it in the outdoors. I had been using contacts for 39 years; I've always been on the edge of pushing it, taking them out and cleaning them in many a precarious situation (rock wall, steep snow slope). I always carried an extra pair, and all the pain-in-the-butt accouterments. Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, I'm free at last.

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Ideas please (there may be some really simple solution I'm not thinking of).

Eyeglasses.

blazin

by blazin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Swithich wrote:Just a quick note, have you ever had problems with contacts? I.E. in relation to eye solution or the contacts themselves? Because I have had a hell of a time. Contacts have been a huge pain in my side almost since the first day. Anyway, I'll probably do this in June when I go for my next appointment, the only caveat being that I have had major issues with solutions so it might not work. One idea might be having two sets of contacts in which case I can use the 7 day contacts for winter trips (which hopefully won't affect my eyes too much). I already have figured out summer trips and have even done 8 days of hiking with contacts (which is a challenge requiring alcohol pads, toilet paper roles, and carrying solution). Thanks for the note I will try this.

No, I don't seem to have had any of the problems you allude to. My largest problem is that it simply takes me FOREVER to get my contacts in, maybe because I wear them so infrequently. But that's just another reason I prefer to keep them in as long as possible. The first several times I wore them outdoors I was acutely aware of having something in my eye, a feeling that proved quite distracting. But I seem to have gotten used to them and now don't even notice them.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Swithich wrote:Thought of that one. They have their own separate set of consequences. Namely, falling off (when rock climbing), fogging up, breaking, etc... Are their solutions to these? Yes. However, the solutions themselves have consequences. The real annoying thing about glasses is no side vision. Or if you will, the distortion when looking to the side. I find this annoying when doing anything athletic, so in general, I use contacts for athletic/outdoor activities and glasses for everything else.

I agree. These problems, more than vanity, encouraged me to get contacts in the first place. Fogging, on winter trips in the NE, was extremely annoying When you get older and need bifocals, the depth perception with glasses can be abysmal, unless you get a special pair made for outdoor activities. If you have a strong Rx and astigmatism, the distortion is quite bad. I tried going back to glasses in 2000 -- a month without contacts -- and never got used to the change.

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:39 pm

I think it depends what you're used to. I don't notice my glasses until somebody mentions them. Sticking a finger in my eye on a daily basis, lenses that kept swimming loose and popping out, those things I noticed. I haven't worn contacts in years. I'd consider them if I were to take up certain sports again (soccer, for example), but I haven't felt any need for them for climbing.
I agree fogging and rain can be an issue with glasses, but I'm *nearsighted*. In wet weather there's nothing to see at a distance anyway.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:49 pm

I wear glasses everywhere - tried to wear contacts several times in my 20s and never was able to get fully comfortable with to them. One other problem with glasses on a climb is that they eventually get dusty, greasy, salty (from sweat) or dirty and need to be cleaned, especially on a multiday trip. If I have soap and water available that solves the problem, but usually I don't and am forced to wipe them with the cleanest piece of clothing available, which can scratch up the lenses. I have a spot on my expensive prescription glacier glasses where I scratched off part of the fancy reflective coating this way. Does anyone have any clever technique for dealing with this problem (other than bringing the little cleaning spray and cloth they give you at the optometrist when you get new glasses)?

no avatar
Byran

by Byran » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:51 am

If you put the contacts in the case and then top it off with solution, you don't really have to keep them upright. So then you're free to keep them in your sleeping bag.

I used to wear contacts every day, but slowly made the transition back to glasses once I picked up climbing. I find that glasses won't fall off as long as they're lightweight (wire frames are better than plastic) and have a snug fit. I've taken a 25 ft nose dive and my glasses stayed on. They do get scratched to shit though. I don't really notice the scratches but it does affect my vision, especially at night. That's why I have 2 pairs - an old pair that I wear most of the time and wear climbing, and a newer pair that I keep in the glove box of my car and only use for night time driving.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:15 am

What is the nature of your correction, in diopters?

QITNL

by QITNL » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:53 am

Not a theoretical question for me, I froze my contacts a couple of times and they don't really bounce back. Here's what I'd recommend.

Next time before you see your eye doctor, scout around and see what's available for your correction in the extended wear/disposable category. I've had pretty good luck with Air Optix Night and Day Aqua & Acuvue Oasys. I like the former a little better but they are more expensive. I don't have astigmatism.

Jot down the stats best you can find online, and ask your doc to write you a couple extra prescriptions. You need a specific prescription for each lens you wish to try; it should only take a minute or two of his time, it shouldn't be a problem.

As you were looking for lenses, you probably will have come across some free trial offers. They're easy to find. Take a few pair out for a test drive.

My correction is pretty strong (-7.5) and my eyes are real fussy, but I find that if I start a trip with a new set of lenses, I'm usually good keeping them in for two or three nights. Nice if you gotta get up fast. If I have time in the morning or later in the day, I'll take them out and let them swim in saline for a bit, that usually freshens them up.

Otherwise get a real good case and chuck them in your sleeping bag.

Hope that helps.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:17 am

Swithich wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:What is the nature of your correction, in diopters?

Not sure who you are asking here or if you are taking a general poll. I also don't know what diopters are, but I think you want the contact measures. I'm L 2.00 and R 2.50 (but currently my right contact is weaker at 2.00 also).

That's a rather weak Rx, so the discussion about the distortion from glasses does not apply to you, and your options are generally a lot greater than for someone who has coke-bottle-type glasses. Not that this is too relevant for you, but it helps give the thread a reference point.

Next

Return to General