Couloir vs.Chute

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
tbaranski

Couloir vs.Chute

by tbaranski » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:03 am

Is there a difference? Even Google is of little help.

Much obliged. :-)

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Couloir vs.Chute

by Scott » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:02 am

They are used similarly. The only difference I can think of is that the use of chute seems broader, at least from what I've seen in route descriptions and maps.

Couloirs are chutes, but not all chutes are couloirs. Couloir means an alpine type chute where snow avalanches run down in the winter or during snow season. Chutes mean not only couloirs, but are also gullies existing on desert and warm tropical mountains as well. I've never heard the desert chutes and gullies referred to as couloirs.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
tbaranski

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:29 am

"Couloir" is just a French word, "chute" is English

The following user would like to thank Sierra Ledge Rat for this post
mrchad9

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Couloir is specific to mountains - at least as it is used by English speaking people:

a steep gorge or gully on the side of a mountain

In French it means corridor or passage:

http://dictionary.reverso.net/french-english/couloir

Chute has a more general meaning that can be applied to things other than a "chute" on a mountain:

an inclined plane, sloping channel, or passage down or through which things may pass

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:54 pm

A "chute" is something down which objects can slide or fall - laundry chute, garbage chute, etc. It's borrowed from French (means "fall") but has been widespread in American English since the 18th century.

"Couloir" is not nearly as well-known in English, it seems it was picked up by Alpinists in the 19th century and never acquired any broader uses. I think Scott is right: only chutes that are sufficiently alp-like (i.e., snowy) are called couloirs.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:09 am

I abseil down chutes, but prefer to rappel down couloirs.

Seriously, I generally use couloir for a chute with snow. In NV, we use the term "chute" a lot for features in desert mountains.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Sierra Ledge Rat

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:24 am

To me couloirs are narrow chutes. For example, I could never think of U-Notch or V-Notch on The North Palisade Crest couloirs. But, the narrow chute on the northeast face of Mt. Morrison is a couloir.
If my house had a "laundry chute" it would be a "laundry couloir."

RickF

by RickF » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:51 pm

From usage in mountaineering literature, couloir infers snow-filled chute or gully. Couloirs can melt and be clear of snow in late season but typically couloirs are snow filled.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:53 am

I imagine the use of "couloir" (as someone mentioned above from the french word for corridor) made it into alpinist usage because of the sense that a couloir leads somewhere, ie a feasible route or part of a route. Giving access, if you like. I'm less sure that "chute" is always used in quite the same optimistic way.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

RickF

by RickF » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:00 pm

couloir is also a word seen in print in moutaineering literature and guide books but seldom used in everyday converstion. It is often mispronounced. It hsould be pronounced koolˈwär, or koo - w(are), First syllable koo, second syllable starts with a w and ends saying the sound of the name of the letter 'r'. I get a kick and kringe when people say "koo-lee-or" or, koo-wy-er.

I've also heard people say Moo-we-er for 'Muir'

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:05 pm

dadndave wrote:I imagine the use of "couloir" (as someone mentioned above from the french word for corridor) made it into alpinist usage because of the sense that a couloir leads somewhere, ie a feasible route or part of a route. Giving access, if you like. I'm less sure that "chute" is always used in quite the same optimistic way.

Couloir, Au Cheval, Gendarme, Pied Troiseme, Piolet, and so forth are all widely recognized terms in mountaineering, which makes sense, since mountaineering evolved in the French Alps. Makes me glad I took French in school so I can pronounce these terms correctly.

Return to General