Death Valley for non-high-clearance vehicles

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
smurfer

Death Valley for non-high-clearance vehicles

by smurfer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:51 pm

The fascinating Death Valley volcano eruption thread has reminded me this place is on my list and its the time of year...before it gets to hot. I've read around a bit and got quite conflicting information on which roads/sights/trailheads are accessible with a regular car. I'd love to get together a list of

(a) your favourite sights (hotsprings, dunes?, etc ?) and trails at Death Valley, and

(b) which ones would be accessible with a regular clearance 2wd.

colinr

Re: Death Valley for non-high-clearance vehicles

by colinr » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:36 pm

My favorite way into Death Valley is to drive down the Eastern Sierra, camp/have some fun along the way, then turn east at the north edge of Big Pine onto HWY 168. The turn off to Death Valley is on the south side of HWY 168, not far from Big Pine. One could opt to first take a detour up to the White Moutain Road for hiking, camping, and visiting the Bristlecone Pines.

From Big Pine to the west, follow Big Pine Road (it heads east just north of town) for 38 miles until you reach the intersection with the Eureka Valley road. Up to this point, the road is paved most of the way and is easily passable to passenger cars. It is also a very pretty trip through some canyons and a large Joshua Tree forest. Stop and look back west for fine views of the unforgettable face of the eastern Sierra Nevada.

http://www.summitpost.org/eureka-dunes/236282

After camping at the Eureka Dunes, one would return to Big Pine Road and head south to Scotty's Castle/Ubehebe Crater (fun exploring/hiking can be had right after one climbs up out of the Eureka Valley and into the Last Chance Range), and the more central areas of DVNP. Beyond that, I most enjoy hiking in the assortment of canyons. Mosaic, Golden, Fall, Natural Bridge are all fun, but the shorter hikes tend to be a bit crowded unless one takes fun side detours and scrambles. Dante's View area does have great views. Of course, then there is the Wildrose/Telescope Peak area depending on the season. There is much to do there without high clearance & 4WD, and even more to do with high clearance and 4WD.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Backcountry%20Roads-2.pdf

http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

http://www.death.valley.national-park.com/hike.htm

Of course, there is an SP page, too, with a list of SP mountain pages on the left:

http://www.summitpost.org/death-valley/175725

surgent

by surgent » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Reports conflict because various peoples' ideas of what a 2wd car can or can't do vary. For example, some will say the West Side Highway is 2wd, some will say 4wd. Similarly for the road to Titus Canyon.

The good news is that quite a bit of the park can be accessed from paved or solid 2wd vehicles. In college when I had a tiny Chevy Sprint, which weighed about 50 lbs and felt like 1wd, I was able to get to a lot of places. Of course, the sturdier the vehicle, the more roads you can explore.

There is no best or worst way to see DVNP. Any way in and out is amazing. The place is gigantic; you'll feel like a molecule the whole time!

SuperChthonic

by SuperChthonic » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:09 pm

I went up to hike Telescope Peak recently and it was a little scary in my Civic...clearance was an issue and ice at one point made me give up, park and start walking.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:42 pm

People have driven to the Racetrack in modest-clearance 2wd vehicles-- more important to drive slowly and have good (if not extra) spares. The is a book on "Death Valley SUV Trails" which gives ratings. Titus Canyon is generally negotiable with a 2wd if you drive carefully and check the conditions ahead of time. A lot of roads to peaks and canyons are basically paved, 2wd. Pyramid, Corkscrew, Death Valley Buttes, Eagle, Bat, Funeral, and many other peaks are assessed by paved roads or modest clearance 2wd. It all depends on your idea of a hike. If you can take 6000' elevation gain and 15 miles in a day, the world opens up a lot.

phydeux

by phydeux » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:49 pm

If its your first visit to DVNP, just go with the thought of being a complete tourist to get a good lay-of-the-land for future visits. Go to your local Auto Club office (if a member) and get their Guide to Death Valley map (looks like one of those old fold-out car maps). Its got most of the info you'll need. As for seasons, spring is usually breezy, and the most crowded (wildflower season, if there's been a good rainy winter). Basically one long north-south paved road that runs through the place. Check out Badwater, Dante's View, Golden Canyon, Echo Canyon (better as a 4WD, can also be MTB'd), Ubehebe craters, Scotty's Castle, Artisits Palate Drive (late afternoon is best for the colors). Might also check out Greenwater Valley (off of Dante's View Road) as it has a few Ghost towns and accessable peaks (1/2 day hikes). One of my favorite spots is the wetlands area at the very south end of the park that has some great migratory bird wathcing in spring (if there's enough rain to fill it for a few months). The Racetrack needs 4Wd to get to from Ubehebe (pavement's end). Its a 25 mile dirt road with some really rough & sandy patches.

Telescope Peak is usually done in the springtime - hit it on a clear spring day and its one of the better summit views you'll ever experience. Trail access is from outside the Valley-proper along Emigrant Road and up Wildhorse Canyon Road. The NPS has (sensibly IMO) given up paving the Wildhorse Canyon Road up to the trailhead; they just give it a good grading after the winter storms to try making it a flat dirt road accessable by 2WD.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:57 am

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:28 am

Death Valley is the perfect spot to take a bicycle. I've spent many a happy hour peddling along the byways of DV. But, always gotta carry plenty of water.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:44 am

There are a ton of sights accessible for paved roads. Just check out the park map. Ubehebe Crater included, which was mentioned in the article.

As of early last year Racetrack Road was easily doable in a car, though with high clearance you could make it a 40+ mph road.

surgent

by surgent » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:04 pm

mrchad9 wrote:There are a ton of sights accessible for paved roads. Just check out the park map. Ubehebe Crater included, which was mentioned in the article.

As of early last year Racetrack Road was easily doable in a car, though with high clearance you could make it a 40+ mph road.

That road is popular and degrades quickly. When my wife I were there in 2005, there was a lot of car traffic (relatively speaking) on that road and it was washboarded and generally a chore, although I did not use 4wd, I was happy to have a high-clearabce vehicle.

Say, if you see a Nissan hub-cap laying about there, it's mine. Either send it back to meor hang it on that Teakettle Junction sign. Have fun!

colinr

by colinr » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:53 pm

surgent wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:There are a ton of sights accessible for paved roads. Just check out the park map. Ubehebe Crater included, which was mentioned in the article.

That road is popular and degrades quickly. When my wife I were there in 2005, there was a lot of car traffic (relatively speaking) on that road and it was washboarded and generally a chore, although I did not use 4wd, I was happy to have a high-clearabce vehicle.

Say, if you see a Nissan hub-cap laying about there, it's mine. Either send it back to meor hang it on that Teakettle Junction sign. Have fun!

My attempt was a few years ago, with extreme washboard as well. I turned around after slow going and damaging a shock. I'm glad to hear that it might be in better shape sometimes. It sounds like I should have tested it out when I was there last spring, instead of stopping by the crater and then heading south without an attempt at Tin Mountain and the Racetrack. There is so much to do in DVNP that I had lots of fun anyway, including an adventure with a tire blowout resulting in a decision to make a side excursion to Vegas (for new tires and only for new tires). With 4WD/high clearance, Daylight Pass-Chloride City area was fun. BTW, for those sticking to paved roads, the drive in/out on 190 between Stovepipe Wells and the Owens Valley is very scenic.

colinr

by colinr » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:58 pm

lcarreau wrote:Death Valley is the perfect spot to take a bicycle. I've spent many a happy hour peddling along the byways of DV. But, always gotta carry plenty of water.

That's true of many National Parks, especially the most crowded ones with the most concentrated popular areas. Mountain biking? Well that's another story; NP's tend to frown upon bicycles off the pavement, which brings me back to the many dirt roads one can ride a mountain bike on in DVNP.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:50 am

Check Steve Hall's site out:

http://panamintcity.com/

Lots of good ideas for exploring Death Valley at that site.

Here are some good guide books:
http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Death-Vall ... 0965917800
http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Western-De ... 559&sr=1-2

The following user would like to thank KathyW for this post
colinr, Greg Enright, Holsti97

Sean Kenney

by Sean Kenney » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:08 am

Did Ubehebe Peak a couple weeks ago. That was fun. Along the same road is Dry Mt. Both the Westside Rd and Racetrack rd are hellish washboard but don't rquire high clearance.

I ran the Titust Canyon marathon but can't reacll the condition of that road other than a long 26 miles with beautiful scenery. :D

smurfer

by smurfer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Wow, a lot of good info and links. Thanks everyone. I will post some pics when i get back.

Return to California