Decent 1:25000 German Maps

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Big Benn

Decent 1:25000 German Maps

by Big Benn » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:15 am

I much prefer working with 1:25000 scale maps for my German mountain hiking, and obviously have all the DAV maps for the areas I walk in .

But they don't cover all I need, and my fall back are the Topographische Karte 1.25000 from Bayerisches Landesvermessungsamt München. But these are not always easy to get, especially 8332 Unterammergau which I've been trying to get for over a year. But it seems to be out of print!

Are there any other 1:25000 series covering Bavaria anyone can recommend?

I do have some of the Kompass maps of varying scales. Very useful for trip planning, but with quite a lot of errors in those that I have. And an inconsistent scale that varies between 1:30000 and 1:50000.

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:47 pm

If I must find an unusual map, I go to "Gleumes & Co" in Cologne. It is a special shop for maps of all over the world. Look at it or ask them, they could send you every map you want.

http://www.landkartenhaus-gleumes.de

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:53 pm

I generally use Kompass maps myself and found them quite reliable for the Alps (don't ask about the Canaries or Madeira - I can only warn against those).

I found this link, where I think you can order the 1:25000 maps. Klick on one of the TK25 (not sure what's the difference) and a popup opens where you can select the maps. "in den Warenkorb" puts the stuff in your shopping basket. I didn't proceed further :-)

But maybe you can simply send an eMail and tell them what you want

Here are the digital maps (might be interesting as well (for Christmas?))

Corax

by Corax » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:46 pm

:D
My page just got some more links to more maps.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:06 am

Some interesting links there. Many thanks.

Those digital maps look interesting Gangolf. Have you ever used them? Presumably you can copy them onto your hard drive OK, i.e they are not protected to stop you doing that.

Postage to England is not bad either, I may well order the Bayern South one as an early Christmas present to myself.

Presumably you just print out the bits you want to take with you on a trip.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:22 am

Bryan Benn wrote:Some interesting links there. Many thanks.

Those digital maps look interesting Gangolf. Have you ever used them? Presumably you can copy them onto your hard drive OK, i.e they are not protected to stop you doing that.

Postage to England is not bad either, I may well order the Bayern South one as an early Christmas present to myself.

Presumably you just print out the bits you want to take with you on a trip.

I haven't tried the ones from Bayern but I own the old ones from my own state, Rheinland Pfalz. The software is really old but I like them nevertheless as you can print out just the region in which you want to hike and take one A4-paper with you. Much better than having to carry several maps just because you planned to hike in the overlapping zone. And you can make notes on them without having conscience trouble ;-)

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:13 am

Gangolf Haub wrote:Here are the digital maps (might be interesting as well (for Christmas?))

Speaking of the 1:25k "magic maps", they come with a 2D and a (IMHO useless) 3D view. As the height information can be viewed in 3D, the 2D map doesn't contain much information about the height (e.g. no contour lines). So a 2D plot won't help you much in the mountains...

The "official" bavarian topographic maps can be viewed here (press "starten"). These maps are accurate (IMHO the also provide the basis for the DAV maps) but lack touristical information like numbers of marked trails etc.

Regarding Kompass maps I disagree with Gangolf as I found them misleading also as far as the alpine sheets are concerned. I must admit that Kompass maps from very touristic regions like Oberbayern may have a more decent topography and perhaps the standard has improved during the last years (in which I haven't used these maps anymore).

Martin

Return to Europe