5 easy/non technical German peaks?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
JLuthanen

5 easy/non technical German peaks?

by JLuthanen » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:22 pm

All - first post the forum and I appreciate any feedback I receive. Recently purchased plane tickets to Dusseldorf for late May 2016, where I will be spending a week traveling around the country with family and was interested and pursuing climbing a small, non technical peak somewhere in the vicinity. When I say non technical, I more or less mean walk / scramble up and that's it. Additionally, not super high elevation or particularly long approach, etc. Any feedback is welcome, but wanted to get a few ideas - thanks!!

- Jon

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: 5 easy/non technical German peaks?

by Gangolf Haub » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:27 am

Depends on what you see as "vicinity" but everything around Düsseldorf is flat. Probably the best option is Rheinsteig - a 320km hiking / trekking trail along the Rhine River. No need to hike all 320 km - you can hike a stage and return by train or even boat.

http://www.rheinsteig.de/en/the-rheinsteig/home/

The following user would like to thank Gangolf Haub for this post
JLuthanen

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:51 am

In the vicinity (< 200km):

Hohe Acht

Bruchhausener Steine (Youtube) plus the "Langenberg" plus other "mountains" of the rothaarsteig nearby, highest peak of North Rhine-Westphalia with astonishing 843 meters...

Not the highest, but somewhat perhaps the funniest: Vaalser Berg, the highest "peak" of the Nether(sic!)lands...
Similar: The high-point of Belgium, also drive-in: The Botrange (702m).

Mining has left several so called "Halden", esp. in the Ruhr area; the highest there is "Halde Haniel" (185m); or the "Sophienhöhe" (302m) near to Jülich.

Somewhat further to go, 300...400 km:

Brocken, highest peak of northern germany and home of the witches on "Walpurgisnacht" (30.4./1.5.)

The pittoresque forest region "Suedpfalz" presents lots of small sandstone towers, some of them quite easily accessible. Jungfersprung, trifels etc. --> just browse through the SP pages

--

Don't know if you're familiar with European distances and mountains...
The alps are roughly 700 km away from Düsseldorf and of course there are lots of peaks for every taste.
The higher ones are still in winter mode during May!
Several of them nevertheless are accessible by cable cars etc. like Zugspitze (Germanys highest peak), Nebelhorn, Tegelberg (next to famous Neuschwanstein... :roll: ) etc.

The following user would like to thank Flachlandtiroler for this post
JLuthanen

Poncherelo

by Poncherelo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi Jon, I have been recently in touch with Oscar, a mountain leader based close to Mount Watzmann, in the National Park of Berchtesgaden (Bavarian Alps). He organises there hut to hut hikes which could be interesting for you and your family https://goo.gl/ffXmzz. Landscapes are amazing !!!! I'm not sure if he is entitled to guide rock climbing but maybe you can check with him directly. Have fun there !!

The following user would like to thank Poncherelo for this post
JLuthanen

Return to Europe