Elbrus ski descent?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
maynardbc

Elbrus ski descent?

by maynardbc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:16 pm

I'm headin over to Russia in early June to climb Elbrus w/ my girlfriend and two buddies and we are thinking of skiing the standard south face route. Does anyone have any beta on snow conditions in early June on Elbrus or any other helpful info on skiing this peak? Obviously, if its rock hard glacial ice, screw skiing it, but if it'll be soft corn or powder that time of the season, then that's what we want to hear.

Thanks for the info.

Brandon

Rob A

by Rob A » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:55 pm

i dont know about conditions, but a recent Warren miller film had a ski decent of elbrus in it....if you decide to do it, check out that film to see what it's really like...

erikaan

by erikaan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 pm

Hej! Will be heading to Elbrus mid-June with friends, and was hoping to ski down since few things are better. :D However, after emailing with some friends that were there last year, the ski plan is no more. They said the area has amazing ski terrain, but that the snow will be very wet and heavy in June, so not very enjoyable. Have done some more reading on it, and it seems April is the month for ski descents, although I guess it also varies from year to year. Good luck!

Return to Europe