Everest Rant....good stuff from Will Gadd

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

lowlands

by lowlands » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:53 am

Glad to find people who share this idea. Where's the challenge in paying tens of thousands of dollars, having some sherpas set your ropes, and being almost guaranteed a summit?

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:24 am

Somewhere around here I have a small violin for all the people who have lost motivational speaking gigs to people who were guided up Everest.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:26 am

lowlands wrote: Where's the challenge in paying tens of thousands of dollars, having some sherpas set your ropes, and being almost guaranteed a summit?

Oh Shit!

STFB for a hurl of debris for such a comment!

Corax

Re: Everest Rant....good stuff from Will Gadd

by Corax » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:31 am

Dow Williams wrote:"I do a lot of public speaking (demotivational only—there's far too much motivation in the world already)

:D :D :D
Great stuff!
I loved the article.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:49 am

Enjoyed the read.
Last edited by Bob Sihler on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MScholes

by MScholes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:59 am

Fantastic article! Thanks for sharing.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:19 am

Will is the man!

MScholes

by MScholes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:24 am

Well, all I can say is that I'd happily attend a gathering hosted by Will Gadd, but I'd fight tooth and nail to not have to sit through a speech listening to Tim Medvetz...

no avatar
coldfoot

by coldfoot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:58 am

By definition, more or less, a motivational speaker is over-enthusiastic and his job is to inspire his audience to over-enthusiasm, and a heightened, or maybe just over-hyped, feeling of their own abilities.

So in addition to what DMT said, I'd think that someone who has an inflated sense of how awesome it is to slog up Everest on fixed ropes has the personality to be a better motivational speaker than a climbing hardman who has a realistic sense of when failure/bailing is the best option.

We all do need inspiration, but there is more of a market for un-realism in this society, than realism. That's life. It's a bit like complaining that pop singers are shallow. It's true and annoying, but it's also part of their job description.

no avatar
kerryob

by kerryob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:06 am

While I agree that in general having summited Everest isn't a qualifier to be a good motivational speaker, being so downright dismissive of the endeavor to climb the mountain itself without having done so personally seems like folly. It may not be an extraordinary achievement these days, but by saying climbing Everest is "no big deal", it lessens the very real and extraordinary feats accomplished by man on that mountain, even if inadvertently.

Lest we forget that many a man and woman, more powerful and strong than we in mind and body, have died on that mountain with all the benefits of modern climbing technology at their disposal. I understand he's trying to make a point about how it's relatively easy it is for your average Joe to go about getting himself guided up the mountain, but he casts his net too widely.

Sometimes as climbers we become tone deaf to what personal accomplishment really means when we converse within echo chambers, endlessly repeating the nearly insurmountable feats of professional climbers, which potentially make our own endeavours feel feeble by comparison. In all actuality it's only a point of reference. No matter how expensive, how much trash, and how much oxygen is used, you cannot take away the very real accomplishment from those who have done it, some more deserving of our reverence than others.

In the opening pages of Into Thin Air, Krakauer recalls in similar terms how equally dismissive he was of Everest as a real challenge. I would suggest the author of this article give the aforementioned book a read, and then go climb Everest himself. After having done so I would like to hear if he carries the same note.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:44 pm

lebeelebee wrote:Dude comes out of nowhere and makes post #1 a good one - well said kerryob. Of course, this is an internet message board with the usual characteristics... your post may be too cerebral to evoke anything beyond sh*t tossing.

I agree, well stated. I had similar thoughts as I read the article. I can understand where Mr. Gadd is coming from. As climbers we all have our own opinions about the accomplishments of others, for better or for worse, but when it comes to motivational speaking what may be motivational to some may not be to others. Mr. Gadd is certainly an accomplished climber and entitled to voice his opinion but I too believe he used a shotgun approach on this occassion. Some climbers may have been dragged up the mountain but a few of their stories are still quite remarkable IMO and may motivate some people.

CClaude

by CClaude » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:16 pm

In many aspects I agree with Will Gadd. Nowadays 99% of the Everest summiters do it by one of two routes. I would only hope that in the future that the adventure aspects return and people return to venture out onto other routes and pioneer others. It will probably sometime in the future become like Denali whereas the majority do 3 routes and a tiny handful do something truly remarkable often outside the public spotlight.

While no one should demean anyones ascent since everyone does it for their own reasons like any other mountain. Anyways its all relative, one persons warmup is anothers lifetime achievement. Personally, I'll never go back to the Big 3 (Everest, Cho Oyo, Ama Dablam) due to the crowds, people tripping over each other..... in favor of mountains less trodden if ever trodden, but I won't fault anyone who wants to.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:21 pm

DMT, I doubt you would want to hear what I would have to say if I gave de-motivational speeches.....and yes, Gadd and I give pretty much the same kind of spill in that regard, not very flowery and no bullshit, straight to the point at hand....most of my partners are use to it and either deal with it, soak it up or never climb with me again....one such example when I posted same on facebook....

"Dow you ought to try giving" Demotivational speaches". I remember well that short speach you gave while I was hanging out taking in the view at Red Rock. A few of us actually learn from them."

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:36 pm

This dude is the ONLY motivational speaker that was worth a shet!

Ironically, in reality, he accomplished and endured far more than anyone that ever summitted Everest.
ImageImage

BTW: The awards he wears, are real.

Note... 3 Purple Hearts, 5 Vietnam Service Medals, 2 Silver Stars etc....

Carry on with this E stuff.

Next

Return to General