Feeling Defeated

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Feeling Defeated

by Bob Sihler » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:17 pm

As Charles suggests, you can try to do both when possible. A couple years ago, we had a rare good snowfall here, and it promised to make one of the only truly good mountains out here into an adventure. I had been waiting years for something like this, but it coincided with my daughter's birthday. So I went out late the night before, slept in the car, got a really early start, and returned home by early afternoon.

You have to make your own judgments, of course. I would say that since soccer games and tournaments are frequent, it's okay to miss some as long as it doesn't become a habit. But you have to decide what the right balance is. My kids aren't quite old enough yet for me to be in your position, but my day will come.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Yeah, you were able to enjoy the mountains, enjoy your kids, and all around enjoy yourself.

If I considered success based on actually reaching summits I would be one giant disappointment to myself. Just enjoy the journey. I'm certain that disappointing your daughter would have hurt way more than turning around did.

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:45 pm

We all get shut down sometimes -- it happens dude :) Live and learn, come back to fight another day.

To put it in a little perspective, couple years ago a friend wanted to do a big wall route up El Cap -- she and her partner made it up partway, and then they both came down with the flu :( But the big stone isn't going anywhere, and she'll probably make it up that thing the next time she gets around to it.

It took me three tries to do Mt. Conness' West Ridge -- the first couple tries were aborted due to weather & partners being ill or tired. I chickened out the first time I tried Mt. Sill solo. The first time I visited Mt. Rainier was an utter clusterf*ck and the final straw was shitty weather. When I look back on it, the bad weather was actually kind of a good thing, considering how ill-prepared our team was -- sometimes, not getting to the summit really IS a good thing.
Taaaake !

JasonH

by JasonH » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:33 pm

twoshuzz wrote:Chaos will be there tomorrow, next week, next month and so on. Personally, I'd have done the same. Time flies and eventually, so will your children. Hopefully you can return to Chaos with them in the future.

Still enjoyed your trip ? Enjoyed the game ? Made your daughter happy ? Win, win, win.

Also, I was glad to read your son is back home with you. Hope he remains healthy and is able to stay.

Well it is Lassen Volcanic, so maybe it won't be there tomorrow. :lol:

But I think your post is spot on.
I have a demon in me - Stu

JasonH

by JasonH » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:34 pm

Troy, you did the right thing.
I have a demon in me - Stu

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:45 pm

Yea, I know it was the right decision, seems pretty obvious now. Thanks!!

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
Joe White

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:33 pm

I guess I should not have stayed late at work and missed my daughters 20th gymnastics meet? I'm a bad dad.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Grampahawk wrote:I guess I should not have stayed late at work and missed my daughters 20th gymnastics meet? I'm a bad dad.

Uhmm??? So working, to make money to provide for your family AND pay for your daughter's gymnastics is the same as hiking?

Interesting :lol:

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:01 pm

C'mon... it's an easy decision to make (or it should be).

Even if your daughter never thanks you for being there, she will remember the times you aren't.

The following user would like to thank SoCalHiker for this post
Marmaduke

no avatar
dougunderwood

by dougunderwood » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:12 pm

T-Ball, Baseball, National Cheerleading Champ, Brownies, Cub Scouts, Music, Peer Support, Body Image for Girls, PTA, GATE,DARE,Fundraising,School Carnaval's, Birthday Parties, Sleepover's, Room Rarent, Helping Teachers and sittin on the couch together===really good kids turning into young adults better than their parents==now were waiting for some new grand babies that are squishy and lovey!! Lots of time and work all over in a flash, well worth the effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was really getting into the outdooors when the kids popped in, no regrets, now I get time to get back out . A couple of times we temporarily fostered four other kids, you could tell that not having what we had was what those kids really wanted, as if they were looking from the outside in. We are far from perfect parents but spending time with our kids and being honest seemed to work and is a great journey, thats the best summit you never get to!!

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Wow, very well written Doug. Couldn't agree more. Now if they had a bigger interest in hiking, that would help but oh well.

PreviousNext

Return to General