First california condor nest at Pinnacles in 100 years

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
rhyang

First california condor nest at Pinnacles in 100 years

by rhyang » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Saw this on supertopo -

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1CD6K6.DTL

A lonely cave on a cliff in the rugged Pinnacles National Monument is the setting for a story of two love birds who found one another despite unimaginable hardship and decided to bring new life into a world that almost destroyed them.

They are, of course, giant corpse-munching vultures, but wildlife biologists could not be more thrilled if they were Romeo and Juliet.

The lovers in this case are California condors and together they have built the first condor nest in the Pinnacles in more than 100 years, a pivotal moment in the effort to bring back the majestic birds from the brink of extinction.

"Condors historically called the Pinnacles home, but because of the declining population the birds have not nested in the park in 100 years," said Carl Brenner, the chief of interpretation and education for the national monument, which is in the Gabilan Mountains about 30 miles south of Salinas. "Forty years ago there were no condors in the park. This is a milestone for the park recovery program."

Condor info from the Pinnacles NPS site -
http://www.nps.gov/pinn/naturescience/condors.htm

iHartMK

by iHartMK » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Very cool! I love Pinnacles, need to go back up before it gets too hot.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:18 pm

iHartMK wrote:Very cool! I love Pinnacles, need to go back up before it gets too hot.

Better hurry up, this truly remarkable event, might just get the placed closed to all climbing.

If you go to the Sespie Bouldering, you can watch these great birds in action, almost every trip.

lowlands

by lowlands » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Calling them "giant corpse-munching vultures" probably wont bode well for their reputation.
Haha

But, cool nonetheless.

lisae

by lisae » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:40 am

Now I have to figure out where Resurrection Wall is. I gather it has been affected by to nesting closures before.

mtnyoung

by mtnyoung » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:59 am

Resurrection Wall is the biggest cliff up Juniper Canyon, on the West Side. Its north side has several longer routes, and there are shorter routes on lesser cliffs (like The Western Front) nearby. The Park Service was very careful regarding climbing closures, but they are closing all the areas nearby until at least the end of October (the "normal" raptor closures usually affect all of the same area, but are lifted in late summer - Condors take longer to fledge).

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:10 pm

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_14833984

For the first time in more than 100 years, a condor chick has hatched at Pinnacles National Monument — a milestone that reflects efforts to bring the condor back from the brink of extinction.

The first-time parent condors are behaving normally — regularly feeding and incubating the new nestling, according to a news release by the National Park Service.

lisae

by lisae » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:57 pm

rhyang wrote:http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_14833984

For the first time in more than 100 years, a condor chick has hatched at Pinnacles National Monument — a milestone that reflects efforts to bring the condor back from the brink of extinction.

The first-time parent condors are behaving normally — regularly feeding and incubating the new nestling, according to a news release by the National Park Service.

I read this story in the paper this am. Pretty cool!

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:46 pm

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_14842967

Biologists at Pinnacles National Monument celebrated the milestone announced Wednesday in the slow recovery of the birds.

But their enthusiasm was tempered because the egg did not belong to any adult birds in the park.

A pair of condors there had conceived an egg in March that biologists then took for safekeeping and replaced with a plastic egg. Biologists later discovered the embryo had died seven days into its development.

"It wasn't surprising the egg wasn't viable," said Daniel George, manager of the condor program at Pinnacles. "That can happen with first-time breeders."

The pair in Pinnacle later hatched an egg that was slipped into their nest after being produced by a pair of condors in the San Diego Wildlife Park captive breeding program.

The chick emerged from its grapefruit-sized shell on March 24. Its sex will be determined soon with blood tests done when it receives its West Nile Virus vaccine.

"It's a good step forward for the program," said biologist Joe Burnett of Ventana Wilderness Society, a partner in the recovery program.

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Congratulations :!:

lisae

Re: First california condor nest at Pinnacles in 100 years

by lisae » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:32 am

I know this is an old post, but had a comment that is relevant. I spend a fair amount of time at the PInns and now a days I often see condors. I saw four flying on the ridge above the camp ground late last month (10/2014). Some one told me the condors nest on that ridge. Pretty fun to watch them.
Last edited by lisae on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearflag

Re: First california condor nest at Pinnacles in 100 years

by bearflag » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:46 am

Were our big birds still around when our grandfathers began climbing there in 1933?
Lewis Clark photo of Jules Eichorn and friend.

Return to California