Fly fishing near La Plata

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
obosha

Fly fishing near La Plata

by obosha » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 pm

I will be hiking La Plata this summer, and perhaps another 14er while in the area. While I am there, I would like to get some fly fishing in. I know about the famed Frying Pan river which is not far away, but besides for this gold medal stream, does anyone have any other favorite spots in the area that I should/could consider?

I've heard Ptarmigan Lake thrown out as an option. Any other ideas?

Also, if there is a spot I can go online that gives information on what alpine lakes/rivers get stocked, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mattpayne11

by mattpayne11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Maybe not what you had in mind but the valley up where Winfield is (South side of La Plata) has some really fun beaver ponds to fish.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:27 am

Remember you need to take every drop of drinking water you're gonna need up La Plata. Great hike but that stuff is disgusting.

People fish up and down the Arkansas. I saw some Lunkers pulled out of Water Dog Lakes a couple of years ago. I'd invest half a day in driving to the Sangres and hike the best Alpine Fishing in Colorado as far as I know. Clsoest options for you might be Bushnell or Stout Creek Lakes. Great hikes, SUPER fishing. No scary mine slop either.

I hope you have a great trip wherever you end up.

no avatar
Gorg

Frying pan

by Gorg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm

Basalt is proly and hour and a half from la plata
plus another forty five minutes to reudi (although you can fish anywhere along the river, most go to the dam, but i wouldn't id fish right around seven castles (3 miles up) because it's pretty)
you should probably stick to fishing the creeks in the indy pass area
the raring fork river and lincoln crick are both pretty good for brookies

Return to Colorado