I am looking for some quality camping and fishing spots

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
AllMountainAccess

I am looking for some quality camping and fishing spots

by AllMountainAccess » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Hello and thank you for checking out my post. I am looking for some good camping and fishing spots, preferribly ones that you have to backpack in a little ways. I don't really want to camp in an actually campsite. However I do have an upcoming camping trip I am trying to put together with some folks that will not be able to hike to a spot. So if you know a couple "car camping" spots near some water to that would be great.

- David

no avatar
COTrekker02

by COTrekker02 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:54 am

You have asked an extremely broad question, such that it's actually hard to answer. However, here are some areas that I like and have plenty of great backpacking options to lakes that will have good trout fishing:

1. Indian Peaks Wilderness area
2. Collegiate Peaks Wilderness area
3. Fossil Ridge Wilderness area
4. Rawah Wilderness area

In short, there are hundreds of great lake destinations in Colorado. Get yourself a couple books and get to know certain areas by readin the books. Here are links to two; one on Colorado lake hikes, and another on hiking Colorado's wilderness areas. Good luck.

http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/produc ... fm?PC=1460

http://www.johnfielder.com/book-detail. ... 1565795167

no avatar
COTrekker02

by COTrekker02 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:59 am

Also, a good place with a "developed" campground would be O'Haver lake near Poncha Springs. The campground is on a beautiful lake with great fishing and Mt. Ouray looming large beyond.

no avatar
Roam Around

by Roam Around » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:40 pm

Rawah wilderness. I just did a trip there - lots of lakes, a few people, but you can find solitude. and moose.

Wiktoria Plawska

Camping and fishing

by Wiktoria Plawska » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:13 am

Charles or Mystic Lake below Fools and Eagle Peak. Also Eldorado Lake near Storm King Peak.

Doublecabin

Re: I am looking for some quality camping and fishing spots

by Doublecabin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:53 am

I second the Rawah. The Sangre de Cristo Range has some of the best high lake fishing you will ever find. If you have a decent clearance vehicle in the San Juans Clear Lake from Mineral Creek is pretty darn nice. 8 years ago they were pulling 18 inchers out.

Return to Colorado