food shopping in el calafate vs. chaten

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
MichaelJ

food shopping in el calafate vs. chaten

by MichaelJ » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:10 pm

I assume there are more options/better prices in El Calafate, but does anyone know if it´s that much of a difference? Thanks.

paisajeroamericano

by paisajeroamericano » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:26 pm

i suspect the difference is considerable

i have not been to el calafate for 7 years, but i was in el chalten 2 years ago - those areas are growing so fast, that my experience may be somewhat out of date - in '08, the el chalten markets were adequate to supply me for a 10-day backpack trip, but i had to be a bit creative - i believe that el calafate has a proper supermarket (la anonoma?), but i suspect certain items (produce?) are still a bit hard to find

in terms of price, i suspect the difference is not enormous, but i believe that, in terms of selection, the difference is significant - on the other hand, both towns are way better than just about anything one might find along the carretera austral (chile) - and el chalten still has a very nice selection of restaurants & panaderias - anyway, good luck...

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:55 pm

To answer my own questions: Not much of a reason to do any pre shopping other than stuff you can´t get in SA anyway, like gu, etc.

rickford

by rickford » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:37 pm

If I remember correctly... El Calafate had the slighty better selection. I visited small grocery stores in each place, just under two years ago.

One thing though- few stores seem to have an abundance of plastic grocery bags. I always bring extra (for waste, wet clothes/socks, food, etc) when I travel in the mountains. When I asked in Patagonia I was denied, sometimes rudely... At times, I walked out of the store bear hugging all of my recent purchases- as I had no bag on me whatsoever. So, make sure to bring enough stuff sacks!

Have fun down there! Wish I could go back so bad.....

Return to South America