Gaitor Repair

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
JHH60

Re: Gaitor Repair

by JHH60 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:09 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
JHH60 wrote:One caveat - if you are repairing a cut in a waterproof breathable fabric that has an exposed membrane on the inside (e.g., Paclite Gore Tex), don't put duck tape on the inside (on the membrane) as a temporary repair. I learned the hard way that the membrane often sticks better to duck tape than it does to the original fabric, and peels off when you peel off the tape to make a permanent repair. Obviously, without the membrane the fabric loses its waterproofness, and you then have to either sew in a whole new piece of fabric, or seal up the area where the membrane came off with more seam grip or duck tape...

So just use duct tape as the permanent repair!

You could do that. My warning was simply for someone who might - like I did - slap duck tape on mid climb, with the intent of fixing it properly (stitching, sealant) when they got home, only to discover that peeling off the duck tape makes the problem worse.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
Buz Groshong

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:34 pm

I'm surprised none of you are endorsing the nail gun method.

I've written a book, "How to repair you shoes effectively with Seam Grip." It's available on Amazon, but only in a kindle edition.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:56 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I'm surprised none of you are endorsing the nail gun method.

In fact, you might have an excellent business idea there. You could sell oak planks and nails pre-packaged together as gaiter repair kits. Not only does it repair the cut, but it protects your leg against any future crampon spearing due to faulty footwork. And if your footwork is really bad and you slip and break your leg, it can serve as an emergency splint...

no avatar
j4ever

by j4ever » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:33 am

Thanks fellows,nice discussion!

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:56 pm

JHH60 wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:I'm surprised none of you are endorsing the nail gun method.

In fact, you might have an excellent business idea there. You could sell oak planks and nails pre-packaged together as gaiter repair kits. Not only does it repair the cut, but it protects your leg against any future crampon spearing due to faulty footwork. And if your footwork is really bad and you slip and break your leg, it can serve as an emergency splint...

Market them as tear prevention... install a set in your brand new gaiters as preemptive measure against the inevitable tears they will endure.

--

Duct tape is fine, dude.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:54 pm

The Chief wrote:
can't be much better than Seam Grip though.

Trust me.... it is.

Put some, SG, on the toes of your boots let it cure 24 hours and then head out for a weekend hike.

I usually go with shoe goo when it's for the boots. It's available at the local variety store, and you don't pay a "camping and hiking equipment" premium. Seam Grip has worked well for gaiters though, and it seems very tough.

Hagen

by Hagen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:45 pm

I found peel and stick nylon repair patches at a fabric store. I used that on the inside, and then a THIN run of super glue on the outside along the tear to keep the cut from fraying. All that can be seen on the outside is a thin dark blue line of the actual cut/tear.

asmrz

by asmrz » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:14 pm

I do similar stuff to what Chief does. If you get clear K Tape instead of colored tape, it will work on all fabric colors. The rest is the same info as Chief offered. It works really well and on all fabrics, tents, clothing etc. I have blue, green, red and black K Tape, also clear, in my repair kit at home, also Super Glue, Free Sole and Seam Grip. Just last winter, Pen was setting up our Firstlight tent in a strong wind, lost one pole, the pole scraped the side of the tent and made several small holes in the fabric. We patched it with the colorless K Tape, looks great.

no avatar
Ulu

by Ulu » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:30 pm

The Chief wrote:
can't be much better than Seam Grip though.

Trust me.... it is.

Put some, SG, on the toes of your boots let it cure 24 hours and then head out for a weekend hike.

Based on your post, I'm thinking of putting Free Sole on the rands of my new 5.10 Exum Guides to make them a little more bombproof for my summer trip to the Tetons. I'm not sure if I want to make a full toe cap or just re-inforce the seams with it. What do you think?

no avatar
jrock

by jrock » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 am

Just use goretex thread (dental floss) with seamseal.

http://www.oralb.com/topics/dental-flos ... -cons.aspx

Previous

Return to Gear