Gear required for winter Humphreys summit

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
MikeHolmes

Gear required for winter Humphreys summit

by MikeHolmes » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Planning to climb Humphreys in mid-Feburary. Obviously that's a ways out, but in a typical snow year what gear do I need in Feb? I've heard crampons aren't necessary -- which leads me to believe an ice axe isn't either. And is a ski descent worthwhile? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Holmes

surgent

Re: Gear required for winter Humphreys summit

by surgent » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:29 pm

If you are coming from a long way, hedge your bets and pack the usual snow-climbing items, e.g. crampons, snowshoes, axe. Look into renting these items in Flagstaff, but if you have your own, bring them.

It is possible the route could be snow free in spots and heavily-consolidated snow elsewhere in which case crampons would probably suffice, along with an axe. The slopes above tree line can be steep.

If it has snowed recently, the upper slopes are prone to avalanches. It may not be possible to climb the peak for a few days. Storms tend to space out every couple weeks, and we may get a dry spell of a month or two. Or it can get slammed. Winds are always very strong on the rim.

I have been on the peak a few times in winter conditions for SAR trainings. I have seen it nearly bare of snow in Feb, and I have seen it with soft powder up to the armpits. It can be a fickle peak.

The following user would like to thank surgent for this post
MikeHolmes

96avs01

Re: Gear required for winter Humphreys summit

by 96avs01 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:00 pm

There's some nice ski/board lines, but obviously the snowpack will determine the quality of a ski descent. I would plan on crampons/ice axe. We did it in January, and were climbing refrozen snow and boarding corn, YMMV.

The following user would like to thank 96avs01 for this post
MikeHolmes

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)