Gear

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: Gear

by Gangolf Haub » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:41 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:Is it possible to link gear to users?

I think it is a very good thing people are able to link mountains and routes to there profile page, in this way it is possible to send them a pm about a route, a crux move, weather, camping, ...

Can the same thing be done with the gear section?

Thanks!

I don't get you. As far as I can understand you this feature is already in place. You can place comments which will end up on the home page of the gear page owner. I have never put up any gear so I'm not 100% sure about this. For example look at Hotoven's profile page.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Can you read?

Under the GEAR NAME is the AUTHOR LINK.

C'mon dude!

http://www.spgear.org/object_list.php?p ... ect_type=1

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:21 am

The Chief wrote:Can you read?

Under the GEAR NAME is the AUTHOR LINK.

C'mon dude!

http://www.spgear.org/object_list.php?p ... ect_type=1

I think he's thinking on an additional section on the user profiles: "Messages posted to my gear". Am I right Stef?

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:46 am

sjarelkwint wrote:If you climb a mountain you have this summitlog.

If you have/had gear you will have a "gearlog" on your profilepage.

This would make it easier to contact people with that kind of tent for example. You can ask them directly what they think about it, how they survive storms, rain, wind, ... If you go to the gear section on the forum most people are looking for people with "that tent" or "that pair of shoes" or ...

PM is easier to use I think ...

(Stupid English language, can I ask my question içn dutch? :D )

You can try with Dutch but I'm not sure I'll understand all. Only my mother was born on the German - Dutch border, not me :-)

A gearlog? From a technical point ok but actually I can't see everybody (or anybody) signing gearlogs. People are lazy, you know ...

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:32 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:Ok people or lazy so I try this in dutch, babelfish or google translate might help you :wink:

Vele mensen vragen in de materiaal afdeling naar mensen die bepaalde zaken hebben.

Moest het mogelijk zijn om dit te kunnen bespreken via pm zou dat handig zijn.

Hiervoor is er een soort van gearlog nodig die profielen van gebruikers linkt aan materiaal. Het is gemakkelijker om te linken dan commentaar te geven. Mensen gaan op deze manier meer gebruik maken van summitGear denk ik ...

Yes I understood your point - even in English :-). My question simply is: how probable is it that people sign a gearlog? I simply don't think they would do it. What you need imho is a mechanism, similar to the voting mechanism, where you simply activate a checkbox "I own this gear" (with a page linked to it detailing who owns it). Even this easy, I think this would only be done for technical or big gear (like GPS-Systems or haulbags) and most of the smaller gear items would still run unnoticed.

Return to Site Feedback