Gearing up for vermont.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
climberslacker

Gearing up for vermont.

by climberslacker » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:13 am

Hey guys I need your expertise.

I am going to be living in Vermont for a few months starting in early February. I will be at the mountain school so I will be doing work. The issue is that I am from SoCal so I am not super prepared for a real winter. The biggest thing that I am worried about is footwear. I only have a single layer summer mountain boot (which works for our winters). I've been told that I will probably need double layer boots but I have little knowlege on them. All I really know is that La Sportiva Sputniks are out of my price range :D. So I need a good double layer boot that doesn't break the bank but is still relatively comfortable (I will probably be wearing these all day to do work I'd imagine) Bonus points if I can use my semi-auto crampons with them and even more bonus points if I can get them locally to try on. Also any other suggestions for my first time in real cold would be awesome!

-Jace

kozman18

Re: Gearing up for vermont.

by kozman18 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:20 am

I live in Vermont. It gets cold -- sometimes well below zero (and below zero with wind chill). But, IMO, there aren't many places in the Green Mountains (or days in the winter) where you need a double layer boot, at least not for single day excursions. If your work is going to keep you out for multiple days, that might be a reason to buy a double.

There's a good gear shop in Burlington (Outdoor Gear Exchange -- gearx.com) that sells new and used boots -- usually a pretty good selection. You might stop by there when you get to VT -- the staff knows their stuff and can probably help you.

Good luck.

nartreb

by nartreb » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:25 pm

You need a tall boot that will keep the snow out. When you said "summer mountain boot" I pictured something that barely covers the ankle and has lots of vents, but your photo seems to show a full leather boot that looks a lot like what I wear in winter (except for vertical ice, when I need something stiffer). My feet tend to run hot, I find it's more important to keep my feet dry by not sweating than it is to try to insulate my feet, so I have no use for double boots. YMMV.

Glad you mentioned crampons, expect much icier conditions than you're used to. If you're a skier, sharpen those edges!

Key piece of equipment for cold weather: thermos full of HOT water! Edit: food is also very important in combating hypothermia. Eat plenty and often, and carry something like chocolate powder (mostly sugar, won't freeze, just drop it into your hot water and it's ready to consume) for when you're cold and need extra energy.

James_W

by James_W » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:01 pm

I never had any problems using La Sportiva Trango S all winter in the Northeast

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Outdoor Gear Exchange gets my vote, too. Sorrells are warm, comfy. You can use strap on hinge crampons. They have a lot of flexibility and are good for working/walking around. We got climbing mountains with them. You can't obviously, ice climb in them. Unfortunately, I don't think they are made in Canada anymore.

mittens.
you need mittens. Carhart pants. Johnson Woolen Mills "Shirt Jack".
Wool hat with pull down ear covers. Red Rusty Subaru. Black Lab. A cow.
NOW you look like a real Vermonter.

The following user would like to thank tigerlilly for this post
John Duffield

Flattlander

by Flattlander » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:24 am

OGE is a good place to pick up gear, especially used. But beware--their return policy is not the best. I understand, cause they're a small store, surviving in a world of EMS and REI. I'm just saying, if you think there's any chance you may want to return the boots, don't get them at OGE. There's an EMS in South Burlington, and sometimes you can get really good deals there. Check out both places. I've had great customer service experiences at both stores, especially OGE. They're not on commission there, and they'll really just help you out because they are gear nerds who want to help you into the best piece of gear. Like someone said above, look through the consignment section. OGE is in Burlington, btw.

For Vermont winter boots, it depends on how hot or cold your body runs. You won't know the perfect boots for your body and activity until you get out there. If you aren't doing anything technical in the mountains, and if you are spending any amount of time standing still, Sorel Caribou pac boots are warm, and much cheaper than mountaineering boots (about 110 bucks). They're great for everything from snowshoeing to shoveling insane amounts of snow that just never, ever stops falling. Classic. If you go double plastic mountaineering, you can often find Scarpa Invernos on sale, and you won't ever have to wonder if your feet will be warm and dry--but they're heavy. I have a pair (from OGE, 220 bucks) and usually reserve them for stuff like Mt. Washington. If you're moving around a lot and don't get cold feet easily, leather trekking boots with the right socks will be OK--I routinely use Scarpa Nepals on VT winter hikes, even when it's effin cold. Expensive, though, and not a "winter" boot. This all depends so much on what you're doing and how your body works. Something tells me Sorel pac boots may be what you need.

In terms of having a "high" boot: Yeah, you want high-top boots. I guess all boots are, by definition, high-top. But you don't have to worry too much about them coming all the way up to your knee or anything, because you'll be wearing gaiters. Wear gaiters. OR Crocs are the best.

SOCKS ARE IMPORTANT. Smartwool mountaineering socks or, if you want to buy local (which we do here in VT), Darn Tough mountaineering socks. Both are AWESOME and well worth the 22 bucks or whatever. Throw a lightweight hiking sock underneath the mountaineering sock if you want to be really warm. This is something to keep in mind when you buy your boots--will you be able to fit a liner sock and a heavy sock inside them?

For traction, unless you're ice climbing, there aren't a lot of mountain scenarios in VT where you'll actually NEED crampons. Having a good traction tool is important, just not necessarily crampons. Katoolah microSPIKES are where it's at. They are light, cheap, durable, and fit on any boot or shoe. And they work like a charm, and aren't overkill. Get a pair of microSPIKES. I can't stress this enough. Get microSPIKES.

For Vermont, snowshoes are an important tool for moving around in the mountains. Snow just piles up and up, and post-holing is a huge waste of energy. I don't know what kind of work you'll be doing, or if you'll be supplied with snowshoes, but they're essential in many Green Mountain situations. Sinking up to your hips in "spruce traps" is no fun. Again, I don't know where you'll be or what you'll be doing.

Oh yeah, also--ENJOY VERMONT! Winters here are amazing, so long as you can stand up to the cold. People are nice, mountains are small but lovely, and BILLBOARDS ARE ILLEGAL. And if you want to go on a cool hike, hit me up.

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:12 pm

I guess I am kinda projection the sierra onto vermont. I will bring my snowshoes, leave my crampons at home.

As far as boots the reason that I am shying away from the Sorel boots is because I would like something that will work with my crampons when I get back (otherwise I won't be using those boots again). I will fer sure check out the gear shops in burlington, I think that is were I am flying into.

Thanks a lot guys!

Flattlander

by Flattlander » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:53 am

Eh, bring the crampons--you may need them. I was just saying you may want to use microSPIKES instead.

You'll need SOME kind of traction!

Sometimes, the trail may be packed down to where snowshoes are overkill--that's where microSPIKES would come in.

I don't want to be the dude who told you to leave your crampons at home!

But definitely bring those snowshoes.

But yeah, go to OGE and also check out EMS. Describe the stuff you'll be doing to the staff at OGE, and they'll give you some good advice.

I wish I could switch places with you and go hike around in the Sierra for a few months.

While you're out East, you may want to check out the Whites of NH and/or the Adirondacks. Cool stuff.

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:27 am

So I Just got finished packing my outdoor stuff for Vermont. I am taking all of my mountaineering gear, my climbing gear, my backpacking gear and a slackline and two sleeping bags. I was able to fill up an entire extra-large TNF Basecamp duffelbag, and it weight 45lbs.

I will probably not use all of it but I would rather be safe then sorry so I brought it all!

-Jace

Flattlander

by Flattlander » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:54 am

Cool. For real, message me if you want to go on a mountain outing in VT or NH while you're out here.

Flattlander

by Flattlander » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:56 am

PS, you're getting here just when it's getting cold. My town has a forecast low of -8 tonight.

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:29 am

Will do! I am leaving in 8 days! I wanna "sample" some east coast mountains while I am out there, I will hit you up as soon as I figure out what I am doing there.

-Jace

jrbrenvt

by jrbrenvt » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:06 pm

FWIW, I wear these in 3 seasons (I have lighter summer boots):
http://www.rei.com/product/733624
I find a good lug sole back packing boot that is waterproof is all I need. I handle the insulation with my sock thickness. Hence you need to size your boot so that it fits over a thick sock without being too tight (best way to get cold feet is to cut off circulation). Can't be too big such that it slides around either. Lug sole required to accept strap on crampons. I have never used micro spikes, they look cheap to me, but everyone else seems to speak very highly of them.

I own plastic doubles I bought for glaciated peaks out west. I never use them around here, but I almost exclusively day hike when near home. For a multiple day trip, I might consider them. They are big and clumbsy, but if the leathers get wet during the day an freeze overnight you have a problem.

I second Flatlander's comments about sock brand. I am partial to smart wool and Darn tough both for running and hiking. For me, the sock thickness changes with the season, but the boot does not.

Also, gaiters and snowshoes are pretty much standard for me from now until mid April. In most conditions, the crampons on the snow shoes are all the traction I need. There are a handful of routes I may want full crampons for though.

I have done a guided climbs in the Washington Cascades and I find their clothing recommendations for Rainier work very well for me for winter day hikes in the northeast.

Have fun, IMHO these mountains are very underrated nationally, but that is OK with me, they see allot of traffic being so close to Megopolis, USA & Montreal.

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:43 pm

Well i am leaving for Burlington tomorrow at the butt-crack of dawn.

As far as boots right now I have these:

http://www.wildernessexchangeunlimited. ... 1&LinkID=1

I got them on sale for $100 so I couldn't pass them up.

I will be getting there Tuesday night and then hanging out in Burlington until Saturday morning. So I will be testing out my gear and then if my stuff isn't warm enough I will be making a run to EMS or OGX to get some more layers. While there I will check the consignment and see if there are any deals on boots that I can't pass up, right now I have a budget for "extras" of like $200, so if I do not need any more warm clothes (I don't think I will) then that will go to the purchase of warmer boots, depending on what they have.

I've been called crazy for going from 75* and bluebird skys to Vermont in winter, but I'm excited. Hopefully I will get to do a trip or two with some of you!

-Jace

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:33 am

I'm jealous. :-(
Enjoy!

Next

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)