GOAT ROCKS: Hike Old Snowy or Hawkeye Point Next Week?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
sopwith21

GOAT ROCKS: Hike Old Snowy or Hawkeye Point Next Week?

by sopwith21 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Please give us your advice on the following -

On the week of June 7, 2015, two of us are hiking the Goat Rocks wilderness area. We would like to bag a few scenic peaks and we've narrowed it down to Hawkeye Peak or Old Snowy.

We have only standard hiking gear. We do not have ice axe, crampons or helmets. Please keep that in mind. That is why we passed up several other Goat Rocks peaks. A bit of Class 3 scrambling is fine and yes, we are experienced in the mountains, but we want to be smart and climb within our gear capacity. We'd like to spend three days/two nights and go a total distance of 15-20 miles, camping on the trail as we go.

- Hawkeye vs Old Snowy - which mountain offers us the best chance to grab a second peak if time permits?
- Which is more scenic?
- Can you confirm that both are manageable in hiking boots with no climbing gear?
- What weather should we be prepared for?

Thank you for any thoughts you can share.

ExcitableBoy

Re: GOAT ROCKS: Hike Old Snowy or Hawkeye Point Next Week?

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:20 pm

My daughter and I hiked Old Snowy when she was 8 years old, there was a bit of easy, blocky 3rd class below the summit. We did not have ice axes/crampons, although I did have a bit of rope to protect my daughter on exposed areas. Weather in June can be crappy, or it can be great. Be prepared for temps from 70s to below freezing at night. Also bring rain gear and bug repellent. June may still have significant snow, although this is a low snow year.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
sopwith21

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)