Good Books

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
brianhughes

Re: Good Books

by brianhughes » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:50 am

I never get tired of pulling Desert Solitaire off the shelf and picking a page at random:

<i> A weird, lovely, fantastic object out of nature like Delicate Arch has the curious ability to remind us - like rock and sunlight and wind and wilderness - that out there is a different world, older and greater and deeper by far than ours, a world which surrounds and sustains the little world of men as sea and sky surround and sustain a ship. The shock of the real. For a little while we are again able to see, as the child sees, a world of marvels. </i>

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:32 pm

If you'd like some perspective on the sports origin in a California context two great books I'd recommend are:

"Up and Down California" which is THE ur classic of Sierra mountaineering literature, recounting the first detailed exploration of the range by the leader of the Whitney survey's field party. Also, a great book about California in general--and this was when John Muir was still planning on spending his life working in a factory.

A later classic about the golden age of Sierra climbing is "Missing in the Minarets," which introduces a wide range of people whom anyone venturing into the range should know about, such as Norman Clyde.

no avatar
woodyoforegon

by woodyoforegon » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:05 pm

Annapurna, by Maurice Hertzog is a a good read.

Matt Worster

by Matt Worster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:27 pm

I second DMT's Cadillac Desert. I moved to CA from Boston, and had no idea how differently water is considered out west. Blew me away. I consider it required reading for anyone that lives in or west of the Rockies. Sure, he's biased, but there is a lot of history in there, too.

Muir's stuff is fun, too. Up and Down California may have to get onto my list from the sounds of it.

Nelson

by Nelson » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:37 pm

For those who like lists, here is another list of lists: <a href="http://www.ronwatters.com/BkMain.htm">Outdoor Book Review Page</a>

It includes, among other lists:
<a href="http://www.ronwatters.com/BkChess.htm">Chessler's Top 100 Mountaineering Books</a>
<a href="http://www.ronwatters.com/BkNGAList.htm">National Geographic Adventure: 100 Best Adventure Books</a>
<a href=""></a>

One title that makes numerous lists is Eric Newby's <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0864426046/qid%3D1124990964/103-1427837-9671814">A Short Walk in the Hundu Kush</a>, a classic in my mind, beginning with the fateful cable "CAN YOU TRAVEL NURISTAN JUNE?"

Finally there is this amazing personal site: <a href="http://www.billbuxton.com/climbing.html">Bill Buxton's Books on the History and Exploration of Central Asia, and the History of Climbing, and Mountaineering, Especially in the Himalaya and Karakoram Ranges</a>. A labor of love there!

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:25 am

Thanks Nelson. Thats an excellent link.

mtnbiker converted

by mtnbiker converted » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:55 pm

try Hugh Thompson's Nanda Devi - not quite like Krakaur's style but a great book about a rarely explored and beautiful place. about mountains but less of the disaster style of mtn book.

also Mountains of the Mind by Robert McFarlane - a exploration of our obsessions, very well written.

my favourite book is Joe Simpson's Storms of Silence - proving how good a writer he is beyond the touching the void genre.

the climb up to hell by jack olsen - account of the eiger attempt by the italian / german team (forget names...) is in the into thin air mould.

this is a great thread! i'm going to buy a few of the reccomendations here!

myles

by myles » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:40 pm

"One Man's Mountains" -- essays by Tom Patey

"Mt. Analogue" -- Rene Daumal

Rob A

by Rob A » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:27 pm

Left for Dead- Beck Weathers
The Climb-Anatoli Boukreev What really happend in '96 on Everset
Above the Clouds-also by Boukreev, his journals of a life spent climbing.

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:35 pm

ATTM'S favorite reading <a href=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0963209159/ref%3Dpd%5Fsr%5Fec%5Fir%5Fb/104-5038588-4370312>Good Book</a>

Joe_Parvis

by Joe_Parvis » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:02 pm

I recently read Herzog's 'Annapurna' and followed immediately with D Roberts 'True Summit'. Very interesting to see different perspectives on same climb. (Especially since Herzog's [admittedly classic and gripping] book is a very 'controlled' presentation.)

I have read Into Thin Air but hope to re-read, and follow with Boukreev's 'Climb' and Weathers' "Left for Dead" in quick succession.

Reading the different books in this way reminds me of (one of) the reason(s) I often get sucked into reading posts and mtn pages on SummitPost --- the variety of experience on the same mountains is incredibly enticing.

dp

by dp » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:39 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "The West Ridge" by Hornbein. I am admittedly biased (Tom is one of my mentors) but he is a great writer, and it is a great story.

Misha

by Misha » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:07 pm

"The West Ridge" was pretty good but IMHO a bit dry.
Nobody mentioned John Long's books?

Tinnik Tinnik

by Tinnik Tinnik » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:23 am

A second for No Picnic on Mt. Kenya - truly inspirational and a book I have re-read at lest 4 times; plus Left for Dead- Beck Weathers, a monument to true grit!

Just read Life and Limb by Jamie Andrew, brilliant - if you thought life was tough - read this; yours will never be this bad - and yet this man can joke about his climbing misfortunes - inspirational. DN

PreviousNext

Return to General